Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technique check / feedback

Default Technique check / feedback

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 184

Trying to gain back some strength I've had in the past and hopefully surpass it in the future. Right now using basically the SS novice program.

Any thoughts or advice on my technique. Most concerned with press and bench press. I've learned the power clean on my own so would be curious of feedback there also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9eJzD0ZIM

Thanks,

Everything looks pretty good, including the power clean. With the exception of the fact that you are pulling the bar out around your knees off the floor, it looks fine too.

i was wondering if you were aware of the tick you have in your right foot when you press? i think it's interesting how people do stuff like that on ocassion, myself most certainly included, and i was wondering if rip had any ideas what caused that or if it was problematic to any great concern.

also, did it bug you that your bench spotter had his hands up in your grill?

The position at the top of the power clean is exactly what is shown multiple times in starting strength as "incorrect". There are a few photographs of this position as well as one particular picture with rip helping the lifter bring the elbows up using his hands as cues until muscle memory takes over. This is important because I have the same issue with the PC due to my freaky long arms. Coach, please advise.

I said they were pretty good, didn't I? They're not terrible. Perhaps my standards for video review have lowered after two years of answering the same questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I said they were pretty good, didn't I? They're not terrible. Perhaps my standards for video review have lowered after two years of answering the same questions.
    "perfect is the enemy of good"

i was wondering if you had an opinion on the tick in his foot during the press, i have a similar tick in a different lift and i don't know if i should correct it or not. didn't really think about asking until i saw his video. i'm definitely not critiquing his lifts, i'm not qualified for that.

You mean where he's wiggling a toe around? If it's not affecting force production by disrupting his balance, how would this be a problem? You guys need to learn the difference between form problems and idiosyncrasies.

Thanks all. I will try to work on a couple of the issues mentioned with the power clean.

I was surprised when I watched the video and saw the right foot movement. Had no idea I did that. My best guess is that it is ultimately caused by some hip / hamstring tightness which causes a very very slight balance issue. Left hip / hamstring is tighter than the right...

The spotter's hands is not an issue for me as long as they don't touch the bar (which he didn't). I guess ideally he would not be so close, but no big deal.

Thanks.

well i was going to leave this one alone but i really am curious...i only ask again because there are multiple mentions and diagrams in SS that tell us that the elbows need to point forward on the power clean and it also explains the reason why. i'm in the process of trying to teach myself the PC right now and on quite a few attempts i am able to clean the weight but notice my elbows pointed somewhere in between the floor and the wall. is this the equivalent of a little butt wink in a squat or is it as naughty as not hitting depth?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes Todd, point your elbows forward correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast