starting strength gym

Thread: Question: Power Snatch progress

Default Question: Power Snatch progress

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    General and comparative question for anyone who includes power snatches in their program: what kind of annual progress are you getting out of your power snatch? In short, how much weight have you added to the bar for your work sets in the last 12 months?

I started the year doing 135# for 8x2.
    Presently at 152.5# for 6x2.

Presumably, I'll be at, around or a little more than 20# of progress this year as an intermediate so I'm kind of curious to see how this comparatively stacks up.

My impression is that once you have consolidated your execution, and exhausted the easy initial progress, you PS will go up with your squat. I would say that for every 10# you add to your squat, something between 3 and 5 will end up in your PS.
    At some point, your limiting factor might be your ability to actually lock the bar solidly overhead; in that case, some OHS might be helpful, if you have the time and want to limit the number of failed reps.
    Not very helpful, I know.

IPB

I find any data here is apples to oranges.

You may just be catching a heavy weight lower...get used to the lift, using your arms more, catching with a wider stance, catching with more forward lean (lower), etc etc etc

Same with power clean.

Too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I find any data here is apples to oranges.

You may just be catching a heavy weight lower...get used to the lift, using your arms more, catching with a wider stance, catching with more forward lean (lower), etc etc etc

Same with power clean.

Too many variables.
    Valid points. I definitely have some days where I'm struggling to generate power and my catches get ugly with wide stances, though, I tend to have a standard before Progression in weight occurs or when to reset because of wide catches and occasional press outs to dismiss catches.

Progress seems to come in "spurts" where I'll get another 5# on the bar making 1-2# increases for a couple of weeks, stall for awhile, minor reset and then another 5# of progress. Sometimes I feel shitty and my power snatches are awesome, sometimes I feel great and they are mediocre. 2-3 pounds can be the difference between beautiful reps and ugly reps. At the end of the day, I'm still left to wonder if, all things being equal, putting 20 pounds on the bar in 12 months (under intermediate programming )for power snatches is "reasonable" progress.

I wonder what would happen if you just stopped power snatching for long periods while your squat went up . . .

. . . and then saw big PR chunks in the PS all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you just stopped power snatching for long periods while your squat went up . . .

. . . and then saw big PR chunks in the PS all at once.
    That's a good question, though it's such a technical movement, arguably the most technical movement besides the full snatch, that I feel like it would take some time to refine timing and technique after a layoff. I'd probably drop power Cleans before I'd drop power snatches, however, as I find them more gratifying and engaging.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    That's a good question, though it's such a technical movement, arguably the most technical movement besides the full snatch, that I feel like it would take some time to refine timing and technique after a layoff.
    You could focus on strength development, while at the same time doing a simplified PS protocol, like "once a week, up to first three failures" (I think I saw this in an article by Jordan on Texas Method variations). You keep the groove greased, but it won't detract from the main focus, i.e. improving strength.
    Just an idea.

IPB