starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIIT progression?

Default HIIT progression?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm not even sure how to ask this, but just basically some form of HIIT progression planning where you progressively get better and more conditioned, and up the challenge at a decent pace. Like the example below that I'm gonna pull out of my ass...

First week, sprint 15 seconds, rest 120 seconds.
    second week, sprint 20 seconds, rest 120 seconds
    third week, sprint 15 seconds, rest 90 seconds
    fourth week, sprint 20 seconds, rest 90 seconds
    fifth week, sprint 25 seconds, rest 120 seconds
    sixth week, sprint 30 seconds, rest 120 seconds

Something along those lines. I have no freakin clue. That's why I'm asking. Something to help improve my conditioning while strength training.

If you're sprinting it should be at 100% intensity and when you get better you'll run faster and further but still tire out really fast cause you're giving 100%. I'm not sure you need to adjust the modality that much. This has been my experience at least.

Although you may not be able to hit your goal the first few workouts so it might take a little bit of a ramp up.

I think whether or not you progress it and how you progress it depends on why you are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie
    If you're sprinting it should be at 100% intensity and when you get better you'll run faster and further but still tire out really fast cause you're giving 100%. I'm not sure you need to adjust the modality that much. This has been my experience at least.

Although you may not be able to hit your goal the first few workouts so it might take a little bit of a ramp up.
    Did you just run fast and hard for as long as possible and rest for as long as you wanted? Or did you have specific intervals?

Quote Originally Posted by Levon_Xidyn View Post
    I think whether or not you progress it and how you progress it depends on why you are doing it.
    Conditioning, and possibly some fat loss.

I just started this 2 weeks ago.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ulti...g-program.html

3 x a week, first 2 weeks are 15 on and 60 off, then 30 / 60 and so on.

I just run up my hill as fast as I can. I've hit 203bpm. Lol.

I use an app called Interval Timer. It gives you a different sound for start and stop, and allows you to run an iTunes playlist. I use it with bluetooth earbuds and it all works quite well.

Mark
    Last edited by mweitz; 10-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    Conditioning, and possibly some fat loss.
    Generally, for fat loss I think you can take more rest (1:3, 1:4, 1:5 work:rest ratios) and you just need to go 100% on the work periods and not necessarily have a progression of more reps, less rest, etc. more reps if you're fat loss is stagnant, but I'd look to other factors first.

Conditioning should be applicable to the goal. generally, I'd say work:rest should be between 2:1 and 1:2. then again, if "conditioning" means something like G.P.P. for better recovery between lifts, then the higher ratios mentioned before will do well. However, if you mean something like running a faster mile, you will use 2:1, 1:1, 1:1.5 typically. Obviously, there should be some specificity to the goal in your conditioning.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

get a heart rate monitor. push the prowler until you hit 180 or some other arbitrarily hard threshold. rest until it hits 150(arbitrary) do that for 10 minutes.
    The progression is how many more bouts of it you can get over time. rinse repeat and hate life. prowler sprints are the worst

Jordan recommends doing:

5m warmup
    5-7x 20 sec spring, 100 sec rest
    5-10m cool down

I think you would "progress" by sprinting harder during the sprints. Your progression model is just drifting HIIT into some kind of hard steady state cardio session. I guess you could add more reps of the interval.

How will you know if you aren't "conditioned" enough? I liked running because it was easy to gauge based on speed, but it doesn't seem to mix really well with weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by ecj View Post
    Jordan recommends doing:

5m warmup
    5-7x 20 sec spring, 100 sec rest
    5-10m cool down

I think you would "progress" by sprinting harder during the sprints. Your progression model is just drifting HIIT into some kind of hard steady state cardio session. I guess you could add more reps of the interval.

How will you know if you aren't "conditioned" enough? I liked running because it was easy to gauge based on speed, but it doesn't seem to mix really well with weight training.
    I've been following this protocol for some time. If you're going @ 100% on the basic and brutal gear (Airdyne, prowler, etc.) it's MORE than enough. No need to overcomplicate things IMHO.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    I've been following this protocol for some time. If you're going @ 100% on the basic and brutal gear (Airdyne, prowler, etc.) it's MORE than enough. No need to overcomplicate things IMHO.
    Totally agree. I haven't experienced a situation where I felt like I wasn't in good enough shape since starting this. I used to run at least once a week because I was convinced I had to. Stopped doing that a couple months ago and was able to go out and do 5K at a pretty good clip the other day and felt great the whole way.

Jordan was right. I was wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast