starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back weakness

Default Lower back weakness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

I'm back on the SS program after being laid up from surgery (UP3, tonsils and uvula removed, palette reshaped). I'm having a hard time with my lower back. When I'm squatting, it feels like the weak point and when I deadlifted today, one of my trainees mentioned that my back curved much more dramatically then it usually does.

I've started doing lower back training at the end of a session (curved back deadlifts/Straight leg deadlifts) and heavy abs (suit case deadlifts/weighted decline situps). I raise wieght if I get to 10 reps, I try to keep it between 5-10 at 3 sets.

Does the programming for seem like it will be enough of a training response without going into over training considering the program I am on? Are there other excersizes you would suggest instead of the ones I am currently doing?

Jamie

A snoring boy, eh? I can just imagine the noise level in the room. Your low back will get strong again even if you don't do any exotic shit for it, unless there was something wrong with it before the blessed surgical event occurred. Just focus on keeping it locked in extension when you pull and squat and it will recover to it's previous level. Really, why wouldn't it?

It seems that my back has been the weak link in alot of my lifts pre surgery and now it's just more pronouced.

It may be time for a review of the voluntary control of the lower back. I teach this now as a part of the initial material at every BB cert because I figured out that a significant percentage of people don't know how to do it. Review pp 37-38 in BBT and make sure you do.