starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Post Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip:

Thanks for your time.

I've got a deadlift form check. This is my third time doing 270 lbs trying to keep better back extension but still failing to do so on the 4TH and 5th reps. In the video, you'll see that I'm using the sumo deadlift stance you told me to adopt at the certification a few weeks back.
    I wasn't comfortable adding any weight to it the last couple of times due to failure at back extension. These still felt REALLY heavy.

Video will go to fullscreen: http://www.vimeo.com/2500708

I'm doing a novice program that looks like this:

Mon.

squats
    press/bench
    powerclean
    chinups

Wed.
    squats
    bench/press
    deadlift

Fri.
    squats
    press/bench
    powercleans
    chinups

I deadlift once a week, always on Wednesdays. Is my deadlift maybe a case of the "perfect is the enemy of the good?"

Cheers,
    Stacey

Quiz time: Do you see the bar moving forward as it leaves the floor? With the information you've got, you tell me what might make this happen.

Lightbulb barbell-scapula relationship

Too much of me is in front of the bar. The bar goes forward to move directly underneath the scapula, where it should have been in the first place. A little more knee bend/getting the hips lower (however you'd wanna think of it) at the get-go should take care of this.

At any rate, is this much spinal flexion late in a heavy workset always to be feared and avoided?
    Of course, better form in the above video might've improved my leverage against the bar enough that I could have kept a neutral spine throughout.

That would be my analysis. And at heavy weights there might be a little spinal unlock, even with a sumo. Yours is not excessive.