starting strength gym

Thread: adding dips to ss

Default adding dips to ss

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Im doing the onus wunsler novice program in starting strength 2nd ed...

day 1: squat 3x5
    bench 3x5
    Chins 3x10

Day 2: squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 alternating with power clean 5x3

For those who actually know.. where am i supposed to include dips into this program??

Rip just answered an identical question in his main QA section. Dips are not in the OW program. In fact, I don't recall seeing dips in any of the basic programs for novices.

This is probably because benching and OHPressing (alternating every session) will be sufficient stimulus to develop the muscles you would hit during dips. As lifts begin to get more difficult and your proficiency rises, adding assistance work makes sense.

I will assume that you are at a point were this would make sense in your training. I personally find dips to be alright on Press days, but struggle more on Bench days. YMMV.

If I add in heavy assistance work I usually do it at the end of the week. That way I have an extra day for recovery in case I overdo things.

Assuming that you train on M/W/F, do the dips on Friday. You have an extra day of recovery then. Always do them after the other exercises, unless you want to prioritize your dips.

If you want to do dips more than once per week, go easier on the ones that aren't done on Friday, since you don't have that extra day of recovery.

If your progression on any of the main lifts starts to slow down, reduce the volume/frequency or stop doing dips.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMc59 View Post
    Im doing the onus wunsler novice program in starting strength 2nd ed...

day 1: squat 3x5
    bench 3x5
    Chins 3x10

Day 2: squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 alternating with power clean 5x3
    Doesn't the Onus Wunsler program include 5 sets of 10 (weighted) Back Extensions on the Chins day?