starting strength gym

Thread: Hip / Glute Discomfort

Default Hip / Glute Discomfort

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been having a recurring issue and not sure if its time to go see someone about it.

For the past two months I've been dealing with what can be best described as very frequent discomfort deep in my left hip. The placement seems to be on the rear left side of. Just above and also above and behind the greater trochanter, but really deep in there. It bothers me a bit when sitting (which I do for 10+ hours a day.

Ibuprofen helps minimize the discomfort and at night I can get temporary relief with a tennis ball and a lot of cursing. I cross my left leg over my right and roll around on the tennis ball and I can feel a bit of pain down through the back / outside of the thigh to about 3-4" above the knee. After rolling I feel fine for an hour or so, than it returns, but less severe.

On a pain scale, its a constant 1 or 2, but nothing that really hurts in the traditional sense, its just annoying.

Time to go see someone or has anyone else dealt with a problem like this and has a successful resolution through stretching / massage / ibuprofen.

I took a week off from lifting in December and it practically went away but comes back the first day back into squats.

Quote Originally Posted by mrRed View Post
    I've been having a recurring issue and not sure if its time to go see someone about it.

For the past two months I've been dealing with what can be best described as very frequent discomfort deep in my left hip. The placement seems to be on the rear left side of. Just above and also above and behind the greater trochanter, but really deep in there. It bothers me a bit when sitting (which I do for 10+ hours a day.

Ibuprofen helps minimize the discomfort and at night I can get temporary relief with a tennis ball and a lot of cursing. I cross my left leg over my right and roll around on the tennis ball and I can feel a bit of pain down through the back / outside of the thigh to about 3-4" above the knee. After rolling I feel fine for an hour or so, than it returns, but less severe.

On a pain scale, its a constant 1 or 2, but nothing that really hurts in the traditional sense, its just annoying.

Time to go see someone or has anyone else dealt with a problem like this and has a successful resolution through stretching / massage / ibuprofen.

I took a week off from lifting in December and it practically went away but comes back the first day back into squats.
    Do a Google image search, find us a picture and circle the area of discomfort.

-Stacey

Here ya go. Blue area is primary discomfort, yellow is pain while tennis ball massaging the blue area.

Thanks

d.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Possibly hip bursitis:

Pattern of referred pain coming from that area:

That's just a big guess. If not bursitis, then it could be some other soft tissue in that area becoming inflamed. Can happen if you squat and don't make sure that the knees stay out (those soft tissues encounter friction from passing over the "hip pointer"). Although a form issue need not necessarily be the cause. Sometimes aggravating shit just happens when you train hard and consistently.

-Stacey

I had a similar problem a while back but was fixed by about 5-6 visits to a chiro who specializes in ART. If you have an ART guy anywhere nearby I'd give it a try. It works wonders.

starting strength coach development program
    So last night I was trying to be conscious of what I was doing and noticed that I tend to have the inside of my left foot completely leave the ground (very bad). I was able to mostly correct it, but I think its time to get a pair of lifting shoes and stop screwing around with the Nike Free's.

Sitting around at my desk today i notice that if i get up on the edge of my seat and roll my left foot up and back (toes up and out) i can feel it in that spot.

Hopefully the rogue shoes ship soon and I can see if that'll make a difference.