starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled vs Prowler

Default Sled vs Prowler

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm intrested in procuring one of the two. I've heard really good things about both and I'm looking for some advice as to which would be better for someone that trains out of his garage. I'm currently running 5/3/1 and the hill sprints I have been doing on my off days have aggravated an old hamstring injury. I like doing cardio but plain walking, bicycling, stairclimbers, etc all annoy me. Please don't respond if you haven't used either pieces of equipment.
    I'd also be interested in hearing Shaf the queers input, if he would be good enough to provide some insight, as he seems to know alot about training.

If money is an issue, a sled is your best bet. It will be much cheaper.

If you have $300 to spend, get the prowler. It does everthing a normal sled can do, but it also offers the option of pushing from different angles.

As far as hill sprints aggravating an injury, I would fear that pushing/pulling a sled would have the same effect.

I have a sled, and overall it is a good product. I do think the prowler, even the economy version, would be better because it adds the benefit of being able to push it.

I have a sled i bought off eBay. Simple and it works well.

If I had cash to blow I'd pick up a Prowler for the reasons everyone else listed.

Lick balls.

I've got an unassembled Econoprowler in the garage that I'm going to get out tomorrow to mess around with. It's been in there for 3 months now, but I've been too much of a candyass to pull it out in the cold weather.

Very south of vag.

I've done shitloads of sled work. Sprints, walks, long walks, any and all directions, etc. I like the sled quite a bit.

Hamstring injuries seem to be aggravated by quick movement. I wish I could tell you how to rehab/prehab it but I've had only very limited success in helping anyone out with it. Moderately heavy drags while walking might be ok. Same with the prowler. You don't have to sprint with the damn things.

I think you really need to loosen up that entire myofascial chain (calves, hams, glutes, etc) as a first step. Like I said, though, I really don't know how to make a hamstring injury go away, they tend to be persistant.
    Last edited by Shaf; 03-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Cool Thanks. My hamstring only starts feeing out of whack when I start digging into the sprints. I can jog, walk, lift, etc without a problem.
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is 2 things. The first being, if I buy a sled for a $150 am I going to kick myself for not just shelling out the extra money for the Prowler a month later?
    Second - I understand that the Prowler is a superior conditioning tool but how good is a sled for conditioning?
    Unfortunately there arent any gyms around me with either product for me to try.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the prowler, check these out: Ebay

Try pulling your car.

Then try pushing your car.

There's a loop/circle on the front of the prowler (all models) that you can attach a rope/cable to so that you could pull it like a sled.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Try pulling your car.

Then try pushing your car.
    Really? Thanks Moron. I'll get right on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast