starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Crossfit to Starting Strength

Default Moving from Crossfit to Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've recently made the decision to stop doing Crossfit and work on my woeful levels of size/strength using Starting Strength.

I wanted to get some input on where I should start off, given that I've already been doing some of these lifts at Crossfit. Here are my current 1RMs and height/weight (and yes, I definitely need to gain some weight/strength; hence the switch).

Height: 5'11"; Weight: 162 (on a good day)

1RMs
    Squat: 235#
    Deadlift: 305#
    Press: 105#
    Bench: 150#
    Clean: 165#

I appreciate your input. Let me know if I should post more information. Thanks for your help

Go based on feel. I doubt you have done a "proper" 1RM. The book tells you how somebody coming in on the first day should choose weights, it's not entirely appropriate in your case, but use that method. It's better to go slightly low and use 10# jumps on the squat for a while than to start high and get stuck. If you start at 165 on the squat, you can probably do 10# jumps until 215#, at least. You could probably do 195 or 200 on your first day, but I'd recommend against it unless you're used to squatting with this kind of volume (3x5, 3x per week). It's a difference of about a week of training, but it makes a difference in how you end up feeling, so don't be too proud.
    Last edited by gzt; 03-17-2010 at 11:05 AM.

If you don't already own SS, I'd recommend you buy it, first and foremost. Read it a couple of times cover to cover and many of your questions, like this one, will be answered.

That being said, reducing all those weights by about 50% might be a decent starting point. Based on my experience, which is somewhat similar to yours, I would recommend that you start with much lighter weights than want to. You will catch up quickly, and it will serve you better in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    That being said, reducing all those weights by about 50%
    This is needlessly conservative. Following something like this, your first pressing workout would be 50 lbs and deadlift would be 150 lbs. You don't want to start too heavy, but there's no need to waste your time on several workouts that don't provide any adaptive stimulus. You've done CrossFit and have seen these lifts before. After doing all the lifts once, you will probably have a decent idea of where you need to be.

I don't know, is it really that conservative? If his 1RM on the press is really 105#, I would *guess* that he would have difficulty with sets across on anything more than 75-80#. And if that's the case, 55# seems like a decent starting point to me (albeit erring on the conservative side, but from what I've gleaned from the books and this forum, that would be the side to err on).

FWIW, I started my linear progression on the press at 90#, and I suspect my 1RM was around 135-40 at the time. That about 65% or so, and it worked well for me. So maybe you're right, 50% is perhaps too conservative.

When I switched from Crossfit to a SS Hybrid in October, I took 25% off my lifts. Made 10lbs jumps on squat till i couldn't anymore. Made 5lb jumps on press and bench till i couldn't anymore. DL always used 10lb jumps.

It won't take too long till 5lbs on squats and 2.5lbs on presses and bench are req'd.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cervicornis View Post
    If you don't already own SS, I'd recommend you buy it, first and foremost. Read it a couple of times cover to cover and many of your questions, like this one, will be answered...
    this.

If you eat enough I bet you will get very strong.

as a reformed crossfitter, my advice is not to stop SS (or linear progression, more on that later) until you are absolutely tapped. CF'ers that say "i went from a 235# squat to a 280# squat on SS" give the program a bad name. i have gone from a 290# squat to a 460# squat in less than a year, even with self sabatoge and with more room to go. i do have to keep BF% and decent conditioning in line with military standards so i used the CFFB linear progression to keep weight and conditioning in check. most people quit early due to pudginess or a decreased "fran" time. i could give a more detailed testimony but i believe it is beyond the scope. just get strong!

starting strength coach development program
    First step is to get rid of the wallet chain and Affliction shirt.

Once you've done that, you can work on reaching a healthy body weight. Everything else should flow from that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast