starting strength gym

Thread: I have a slight meniscus tear, is there any worries about starting SS

Default I have a slight meniscus tear, is there any worries about starting SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I slightly tore the meniscus in my right knee a few years ago. I never received proper medical attention for it but I was told I should take physiotherapy/get surgery but I have no time for surgery. Over the years, I tore much of the muscles in my right ankle which I never received proper medical attention for. I wore a brace over my ankle for a few years, it hurt to run and eventually it went away but it rarely comes back. My right knee though, while the pain isn't often, does come back.

I am posting here because I was thinking of starting SS and because of the compound lifting, I was worried I might do further damage to my knee/my knee give out and I take the ol' ticket to snap city. Is there any worry for starting SS? Just take it slow? Should I even start SS?

Cheers, fellow

A partial meniscus tear, depending on where it is and how it healed, may not cause you many problems. Pay attention to good form, keep your femurs in line with your feet, and don't be afraid to wear knee sleeves or a light wrap if some extra support is needed. Your ankle is unlikely to cause you problems, either. My advice? Try it and see.

As someone with meniscus/knee issues skip the sleeves. I have some Rehbands and I put them on while I'm warming up (bike + stretching) but I pull them down as soon as I start lifting. I can't recommend the Hookgrip Russian knee wraps (linked if allowed) enough. I've tried several different wraps and these are by far the best I've used. They provide just enough support, keep the knee warm and don't really offer much "help". They aren't stiff at all and once I put them on I generally just leave them on which can be up to 2+ hours.

Other than the wraps, stretching before I lift (I have to) and icing my knees post-workout has helped immensely.

Best of luck derka derka!

I had a "bucket handle" tear in my left meniscus between the inner and middle thirds (repaired by surgery). If you were advised to have surgery for it, it may have been that the tear extended, or was mostly located in the middle or inner third. These areas receive little to no blood flow, and as such cannot be healed with time. The problem with tears that do not heal in these types of tissues is a lot like a tear in a piece of paper. If left, it has the potential to tear further. For mine, they essentially "shaved back" the meniscus to the point where it was smooth and there was no more tearing.

But hey, it's your leg. If you can't make time for it... c'est la vie.