starting strength gym

Thread: First time post

Default First time post

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello all, I hate that this is where my first post has to be, in the injury section. I read the second edition back a few years ago. But the dumbass that I was, I never stuck with the program and did random workouts instead. Hence why I never grew and stayed skinny...In the last year I really implemented a lot of compound lifts and seriously began the 5x5 program. I will never look back at another isolation exercise ever in my life.

Anyways, I apologize for the rant. I am suffering from a few injuries that are really getting in the way of my daily life. For the past month I have been suffering from tendonitis of the left biceps femoris tendon. I am also feeling pain in the head of my left fibula. I have been stretching it out like crazy but I have yet to resolve the pain. Sometimes, I feel a cramping sensation when I walk and sit for too long. I do not really feel the pain when I am squatting or deadlifting, the only time I feel the pain is when I myself flex my knee. Can anyone give me advice on what to do at this point? should I stop squatting for awhile until it gets better? I do not even know if this is squat related to be completely honest.

The next injury that I have is bicep tendonitis of my right arm. Anytime I try to do bent over rows, my right bicep tendon aches like crazy. I have seen a physical therapist and he has given copious amounts of stretches to do. His advice was to stop doing workouts which aggravate my injuries. Obviously thats the smart way to go, I just want to hear some advice from you guys.

I am sorry, I do not have any videos of my form to show currently. I hope to get some soon.

I appreciate your help everyone.

Thank you.

Firstly, this forum is 'repetitive inquiries' not 'injuries' so you may want to repost this in 'recovery'.

More importantly, how do you know it's the biceps femoris, did you get a diagnosis? Secondly how are you stretching the fibula?! Thirdly regarding your biceps tendinitis, what movements aggravate it?

Finally hold old are you? What are your work sets? How did you sustain the injuries? And what makes it worse?

+1 on the previous... (e.g. The fibula is a bone. Not usually the subject of stretches :-) )

But also:
    If the outside of your knee hurts... how confident are you in your squat form? Are you pushing your knees out adequately throughout the squatting motion? Are you doing your squats by the book?

And if you've "seen the light", so to speak, why are you doing 5x5 instead of the Starting Strength Novice program ?