starting strength gym

Thread: What Numbers for Lifts are Normal for Moving to Intermediate?

Default What Numbers for Lifts are Normal for Moving to Intermediate?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 5'5" and weigh about 170-175 lbs. My last successful sets were:

Squat 190 lbs for 3x5
    Deadlift 275 lbs for 1x5
    Bench 180 lbs for 3x5
    Press 115 lbs for 3x5

I've totally stalled (missed reps for 3 consecutive workouts) and I am deciding between resetting or moving to an intermediate split. Most people tell me my lifts are too low to be "done" with starting strength, and the numbers I see Rip use in typical examples of teenagers make me feel like a grandma. So my question is, what ARE typical weight ranges for these lifts for someone my height/weight who has pretty much gotten all they can from the novice Starting Strength program? Should I keep trying to get the lifts up or move to split? Thanks.

The typical numbers are higher than your current numbers, except perhaps for the bench press. When you stall, do a re-set. Make sure your eating and sleeping are in order. How old are you, how much did you weigh when you started the program, and how long ago was that?

I'm a 25 year old male. I started about 5 weeks ago (after doing 3 months of the program before, and then not lifting for over a year). My lifts when I started 5 weeks ago were:

Squat: 95 lbs (after running a lot and sitting and drinking coffee for over a year.... yeah)
    Bench: 155 lbs
    Deadlift: 165 lbs
    Press: 85 lbs

You've added more weight to the press than the bench press in the 5 weeks? That's odd.

You left out your starting weight.

My starting weight was about 165-170. I started with over 20% body fat, which I still have, so I'm on the tubby side. I increased the press faster for the first few workouts because the 85 felt easy. Tomorrow or the day after I am going to try to get some form videos recorded so I can post them for input.

With your estimates, it's difficult to really judge here. You say you started 165-170 and are now 170-175. If you started at 165 and are now 175, that would indicate to me that you're at least probably eating enough and that's not the problem, so a form check is in order.

But if you started at 170 and are now, 5 weeks later, still 170 (or even something less silly such as 169-171), then nutrition is likely an issue.

So I need better data, but I'm guessing you aren't eating enough because you're worried about the 20%+ bf. If you're fluffy, you need to eat more judiciously, but shouldn't be running a huge calorie deficit.

These are your numbers from a post in 2012:
    Weight: 205 lbs
    Height: 5'6"

Lift: Then ---> Now
    Squat: 105 ---> 205 lbs
    Bench: 125 ---> 180 lbs
    Press: 55 ---> 115 lbs
    Sooo... what happened? No, you don't need an intermediate program. Chances are you're not doing the lifts correctly, a video may help. Also, you shrunk an inch. Something is missing from this puzzle.

starting strength coach development program
    Is that an actual quote from a post in 2012? Ya, there's definitely something wrong here.