starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check Followup

Default Squat Form Check Followup

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thanks to Michael Wolf for the comments on my first set of squats. I have tried to make the changes and shot a bit more video today.

I had to drop a bit of weight as I was not going nearly deep enough.

I was trying to correct:

Head position looking at a point 6-10' in front of me
    Feet position / angle
    Depth
    Knees locked out

Video is my second work set. Had some issue with maintaining my head angle and I felt like I was leaning forward coming out of the hole:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhgwag9dqxg

On my third work set I put a towel in front of the mirror to use as a focal point and that seemed to help my head, but my knees were a bit wobbly and I still felt like I was leaning forward a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuU5wkZa77g

I've been pouring over the book and videos on this forum to try to get this right. I really wanted to go to the camp in Hamburg Germany but I'm out of the country in December

Thanks for any help!
    Russell

Your stance is just a little wide and you are staying too upright. Lean over and sit back a little more. Drive your ass upwards.

If you know of anyone else that wants to come to the Hamburg camp, let me know. That is the only one of them that isn't selling so far.

Thanks for the tips Tom. I'll narrow my stance and work on sitting back more.

I don't know of many people in Germany that actually do Barbell lifting I live in Hannover, and I am the only person in my gym that uses the half squat rack. Everyone else uses dumbells or does bench press They are installing a Rogue fitness X-fit setup soon though, so I should have actual bumper plates etc.

So I mentioned the Hamburg camp to one of the trainers who actually is starting to do some barbell work and he sounded kind of interested. I shot him an email with the info. Maybe he will go?

Anyhow, on to today's squats.

I narrowed my stance about 3 inches and focused on keeping my head down, knees out, and sitting back. I have to admit it was tough to remember to do all 3

Oh, the videos are processing on youtube so it may take a minute for them to work right. I trimmed out all the BS stuff from when I started recording to actually lifting but it takes a little bit for youtube to render the updated video,

First video is from the side, sorry about the tight shot but I have no room to work with in the corner:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avt-y-qV7kg

Second is from a 45 degree rear view:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImFwrS5D34

And finally a rear view:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dcpm09fDBA

You don't need all, I'm sure, but I just wanted to put them out there in case they help.

Thanks so much for looking at these!

Look at a point on the ground about 5 feet ahead of you and keep your chin down. Narrow your stance another 2 cm. Drive your knees out a little more don't let your knees come quite as far forward. Right now, the bar is drifting well forward of your midfoot. Envision the bar moving in a plane directly over the middle of your feet the whole time. Also, if you cannot make the Hamburg camp, invest in a pair of weightlifting shoes. They will help.

Thanks for the review Tom. I am planning on buying a pair of weightlifting shoes when I'm in the US in December. Can't find them around here in Hannover. I'm sure I just don't know the german term for weightlifting supply shop

I'll try to work harder on sitting back and keeping the bar over midfoot. I definitely understand, see, and feel the problem, just need to get my body to work right to fix it

This thread shows up as having a post in need of approval, but I don't see anything. If you posted something here, please repost.

No post yet. I will post more from tomorrow's session

Ugh, terrible workout today.

I completely de-loaded weight because the last 2 sessions I just could not get the bar travel to be perpendicular. I was really focusing on sitting back and trying to get the bar to travel straight.

My first post on 11/6 was at 90kg (already deloaded from 110kg because I wasn't going low enough). Today I deloaded all the way down to 80kg and it was worse than ever. It feels like I'm getting worse, not better.

Sorry for the angle, gym is under construction right now. I still see the bar moving forward and I'm struggling with much less weight ??? After this squat session, my press was a disaster as well. I had been making steady 2.5kg per session gains, but the last session was 524, then today was 424 (at 53.75kg ~ 118lbs). Power clean was okay at 65kg so that was good. Just not sure what's going on.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't just look down, lower your chin. Get your knees set in place by half way down. Everyone has bad days in the gym. Worry not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast