starting strength gym

Thread: Press 0.0, how go generate a stong start.

Default Press 0.0, how go generate a stong start.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I am doing the old time press. Like John Davis did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0_-rscOrU

I am training with an old guy(around 67 years old) that was competing in weightlifting back in 1968. He had a press of 105kg @67kg. He learned the lift mostly by himself. But his style looks like John Davisīs.

Now to my question. My traing coach has forgotten much about the press(since he was not doing it for about 35 years). Especially the part from the bottom to the middel part of the lift. He know how to do it, but even during his peak years he never reflected about the technical aspect of the first part of the lift. Probably since he always had a stong start.

Power in the bottom of the press. Lets call it SS Press1.0. What is the best cues to get the bar of the shoulder fast.

The style I use is : Start to press and once the bar reaches the nose move hips forward.

A lot of reading from old time journals(Hoffman etc) mentions that one way to improve the start is to have the traps slightly contracted in the start of the lift. Others mention that contration of the biceps muscel will improve the pressing power.

What would be the general guidlines from the SS coaches for the first part of the lift(old style) in order to generate as much power as possible,

The sticking point for me is currenltly the start. Its to slow if I come to the nose I can militarypress sets of 3 reps at 75kg@BW of 88kg. But with a faster start I do believe that I could move up to 80-85kg quite easy.

I know that the current press of choice is press2.0, but a press is still a press

Regards
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by sunetdanne View Post
    What would be the general guidlines from the SS coaches for the first part of the lift(old style) in order to generate as much power as possible
    You are not going to want to hear this, but the answer is probably very simple - get stronger. I am not going to recount the technique advice in the second edition. However, if you wish to produce more force at the bottom, you must, well, produce more force. Short of a video to critique your press, I don't know that I have anything more specific to tell you. Sorry.