starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. Here is this mornings deadlift work set: 155kg x 5. I've had to deload to deal with rounding of my back at heavier weights, and this is creeping in again.

http://youtu.be/O0aaJHwHOj0

My own reading of it is that the first rep is acceptable with a gradual decay in form through the set, with the last rep being particularly poor. I'm interested to see if the coaches agree.

This is getting frustrating, before this I had squatted 3x5x160 comfortably, but I'm really struggling to get my back into position when deadlifting.

Alright, here's the good news. Even the 5th rep on that set wasn't very hard. It moved fast, and you had no trouble with it. You have plenty of strength to spare here, so to speak.

Your observation about your back is correct. But that's simply because you're not taking the time or effort to squeeze up hard before every rep. You do a little half hearted squeeze up. Take an extra half second, squeeze up hard, and this will get better.

Also be sure to finish your lockout completely, and don't bend your arms at the top.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be deadlifting again tomorrow, so I'll try to take my time and squeeze up more.

and don't bend your arms at the top.
    Hadn't noticed that! Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to make up for not doing bicep curls.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_0 View Post
    Hadn't noticed that! Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to make up for not doing bicep curls.
    155kg is a hefty weight for some curls, my friend. You should enter a strict curl competition.