starting strength gym

Thread: Supraspinatus Injury?

Default Supraspinatus Injury?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach - Was bench pressing last night when in the middle of a set I experience what felt like a "squirting" sensation inside my deltoid. There was NO acute pain and I finished the workout. A few hours later, I had some stiffness in the shoulder but still no pain. When I woke up this morning, it felt like someone hit a nail into the top of my shoulder. The area to the top/side of the AC joint is tender to the touch. Lifting my arm to the front or side is extremely painful. Even just walking, my shoulder throbs with every step. Does this sound like a supraspinatus tear? Any way for me to tell how screwed up it is without an MRI?

BTW, I'll be 36 next month, been lifting for 17+ years, and this past year it's like all of a sudden I'm falling apart - knees, shoulders, etc. I had always been injury free, but all of a sudden it seems the injury chickens are coming home to roost on me.

Join the club, my friend. Yes, it sounds like you have a cuff tear, and the surgeon can tell without an MRI by using a couple of simple physical tests. But they'll make you get one anyway, so you might as well make the appointment.

Amazingly, after two days, I've regained most of the ROM and probably 80% of the pain is gone. I still can't believe it as I was damn near unable to move my arm at all Wednesday morning.

Anyway, went in to see the doctor today, he did the usual tests bending and twisting my arm every which way. He confirmed it's a rotator cuff issue, but given the quickness of the recovery said I probably strained the muscle belly rather than tearing the tendon. Told me if I'm still having pain in a few weeks to call and he'll send me in for an MRI.

Gave me the usual "rest, NSAIDs, and stop lifting heavy weights" advice. Not gonna happen. Should I follow the Starr rehab plan or just lay off all benching/pressing for a few weeks?

Thanks.

They do resolve quickly, as did mine. And I agree that you should put it off as long as possible. Quit benching for 3 months, press only, and gradually reintroduce the bench on a limited basis.