starting strength gym

Thread: SS Powerclean vs Starr Powerclean

Default SS Powerclean vs Starr Powerclean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Please forgive me if this has been discussed but I searched for something similar and could not find anything.

My primary question is regarding the difference between the Powerclean as described in SS and in Starr's "The Strongest Shall Survive." As my understanding in SS after the second pull the bar should be racked w/o any use of the arms (other than the action as pivot points, the total force for racking the bar coming from the explosion of the second pull). In Starr's method the arms are actively used to "pull" the bar up during second pull into the rack position.

My main question regarding the difference is if one is better for something particular than the other. I can see that the SS method would emphasize the explosiveness of the second pull and the stomp (getting under the bar). I can, however, see the potential usefulness (for certain sports particularly) in more actively involving/engaging the arms.

Is my understand of the differences correct? If not please correct me. If so what would you recommend the different variants be used for.

Edit: Corrected title error.

Starr's book is called "The Strongest Shall Survive", and he and I in fact coach the movement differently.

Quote Originally Posted by kziwarrior View Post
    Is my understand of the differences correct? If not please correct me. If so what would you recommend the different variants be used for.
    Don't think about pulling the bar up. Instead, think of pulling yourself under the bar. It's one of the queues that olympic lifters use to get under the bar quicker during the full squat clean. Then again, I might be completely wrong.

The correct spelling is "cue", and there are several schools of thought regarding this. Don't make me do this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The correct spelling is "cue", and there are several schools of thought regarding this. Don't make me do this again.
    It would appear that you've had this discussion before then. Can you by change remember the thread title or have a link to it? Sorry to ask, but any search of the subject returns 100's of returns. And I've spent quite some time trying to go through them, and will continue.

Thanks for all the time you spend in the forums. I've learned a TON from your books and was looking into the CrossFit Basic Barbell Certification. I was looking at the schedule from the link in your signature and didn't see anything in the South or SE so fare this year (or at least the remainder of the year). Was wondering if you had any plans for a certification in TN/NC area later this year or early next year. Thank you again for all the work here and in your books.

starting strength coach development program
    I meant the corrections. I coach lots of things different than lots of other coaches. My methods are quite thoroughly detailed here and elsewhere, and you can compare and contrast them as you find necessary. We were in Atlanta last month, and we aren't scheduled for the southeast again this year. Looks like a plane ticket is the answer.