starting strength gym

Thread: Rest Days Do's and Don'ts?

Default Rest Days Do's and Don'ts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I recently (3 weeks ago) started the Starting Strength program.

A. Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    B. Squat, Press, Clean

I'm not really a novice to weight lifting so i started at higher weights currently i'm roughly at (im just recalling cause its not that important to the question)

Squat: 100 kgs
    Bench: 80 kgs
    Deadlift: 100 kgs (i hadnt been doing it until 3 weeks ago)
    Press: 30 kgs (side question, is that low?)
    Clean: 40 kgs

SO my question i understand better then most that rest, nutrition, etc is important BUT i'm not sure whats optimal. Let me explain

Is it ok to exercise (not weight lift) on your off days? Is their a limit to what you can do? for example

Monday: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Tuesday: 3 hours of Judo (intense)
    Wed: Squat, Press, Clean

Is that better then say

Monday: Weightlifting + Judo (after)
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wed: Weightlifting + Judo (after)

Please back your answer up with something! or simple link to something that answers my question in detail.

Thanks in advance

This "judo" you speak of, the "intense" judo...does it make you tired? If it does, chances are good that it might interfere with the recovery of an intermediate lifter whose recovery ability is compromised relative to that of a novice, as detailed in PPST.

i started judo literally a week before i started SS.
    the answer is that you cannot do both at the same time if you are starting both.
    this is of course based on my sole judo and SS training combined.
    we are literally throwing and being thrown hundreds of times each session (3x a week). this is extremely taxing on the leg and core. i mentally could not deal with settin x5PR's every workout with sore legs 7days/week (mainly squat). maybe you can. i could not
    i easily ate 5000calories a day and slept 8-10hrs and could not manage and my classes are only 1hr long.

i still lift every other day, and make linear progression, but i cut the frequency of my lifts down.

this means i am not getting as strong as possible and im not progressing in judo as fast as possible. luckily im a "glass half full" guy and i know that progress in either will make me a better person than i am now (physically).

you cant train for a 500lb back squat, a 4min mile and one arm chin. sometimes you gotta accept compromises

P.S. i also started at a certain weight because i thought i was beter conditioned. it will catch up quick
    also there is a judo player that posts regularly on performance menu who is quite strong and has made an appearance on the CF journal and i beleive trains often at Rippetoe's gym. some searching and he might offer to look at your training routine/schedule. he gave me some great tips on mine and im doin alright

from one judoka to another

Quote Originally Posted by sandwhich View Post
    Is it ok to exercise (not weight lift) on your off days? Is their a limit to what you can do? for example

Monday: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Tuesday: 3 hours of Judo (intense)
    Wed: Squat, Press, Clean

Is that better then say

Monday: Weightlifting + Judo (after)
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wed: Weightlifting + Judo (after)
    From my own perspective ?.

I?ve been following SS for nearly five months now based on a coaches recommendations and I?ve found it extremely useful.

My judo schedule is as follows which I have rated from 1 to 5 (1 being light and 5 being intense)
    Monday 5
    Tuesday (coaching) 1 or 2
    Wednesday 5
    Thursday (coaching) 1 or 2
    Friday (Groundwork) 4
    Saturday 3

I would definitely recommend doing your lifting on the same day as your judo with about 12 hours in between (depending on your job). I do the program on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. From my perspective it?s better to have a recovery day in between than trying to do judo on one day then lift weights the next.

The problem I have is that I don?t fully recover during the week so I modify the program by increasing the weight incrementally weekly rather than at each session.

One coach suggested to me dropping down to doing one exercise per day (or even week) rather than three.
    Week 1: Mon (Squat) Wed (Press) Friday (Clean)
    Week 2: Mon (Squat) Wed (Bench) Friday (Deadlift)

Is this an acceptable substitution?

Sure. It's just not the novice program.

I train Jiu Jitsu and have been flailing away at SS (or, at least, a program heavily mimic'ing SS) since December 2008. My observations are as follows:

1. GET YOUR SLEEP. If I can relay anything to you, it's about getting your shut-eye. Be a fucking sleep nazi. You will not, I repeat - will not (I repeat again - WILL NOT) make appropriate gains without enough sleep if you're also training BJJ/Judo/Krav Maga/Jedi light saber fighting/what-the-fuck-ever.

2. Remember to eat plenty and drink the fucking milk. Honestly, I wouldn't have made the meager gains I've made without either. Eggs are your friends. Chickens are not, fucking devour them, as aren't turkeys, salmon, cows, buffaloes, deer, buffalo, ostriches, kangaroos, sharks, swordfishes, antelopes, nor wildebeasts. Do your best to rid the world of them, one bite at a time.

3. Go easy on the recreation. Now, I'm not a man to tell others not to drink. In fact, I am thoroughly convinced that whiskey and beer are important supplements. However, go easy on the binges. Nothing will set you back faster.

4. Finally, don't call the program Starting Strength. It isn't. You've added new physical stressors, which the book - and Coach Rip - warns against.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    ialso there is a judo player that posts regularly on performance menu who is quite strong and has made an appearance on the CF journal and i beleive trains often at Rippetoe's gym. some searching and he might offer to look at your training routine/schedule. he gave me some great tips on mine and im doin alright

from one judoka to another
    I think thats Gant Grimes.

Default On vertical jumping

To illustrate the rarity of a 38" vertical. Look at the results from the 2009 NBA draft combine.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6301

The highest number recorded on the 'no-step vertical' is 33 inches, which appears to be the actual vertical instead of the weird, running start 'Maximum vertical'. Even with a running start, only 4 out of 50 potential pro NBA players were able to crack 38 inches.

starting strength coach development program
    I train a lot of Martial Artists and the only problem I've seen is that you're progress will be slower. And that's WITH plenty of rest (10+ hrs for some of my students) and a TON of cals. If you can't get the proper rest and load your diet though you are almost guaranteed a major crash and that will hinder BOTH of your programs.