starting strength gym

Thread: Suggestions please

Default Suggestions please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

First apologizes for length of post.

I just turned eighty. Began my attempt at SS in June of 08. About two weeks into it injured. Spinal stenosis, right leg femoral neuropathy. Five sessions of spinal injections, pain is about a 5 as compared to what I perceived as a 10 when at worst. Pain somewhat controlled with low doses of Oxycontin.

Lost approximately 35 pounds, from 12/08 to say 5/09; unintentionally, although certainly needed. From about 210 to 173 at present. Weight loss has stabilized, I am five feet 10 inches tall. Have lost my appetite. My theory is that the appetite loss is caused by the oxy. Both my family guy and cardiologist have not disagreed with my DX, nor do they seem enthusiastic, apparently it is considered unknown. I have had tests, evaluations, etc. to rule out any bad stuff causing the weight loss and nothing was found, I have pain when walking, and also standing more than a minute or so.

About two weeks ago I started rowing on my Concept2 erg. No pain at all really. I imagine because I am sitting, no vertical load on back and legs, and a completely different leg movement/posture as opposed to walking and standing.

All the above is just for info. My question is would just rowing, seeing as I can get away with it, be enough or should I attempt lifting. I seem to be able to get away with air squats, I do not have a rack. I would do squats, limited by what I can get on my back....say 70-75 pounds. Press, what ever weight I can manage. Bent over rows (sorry) and maybe planks for core. Would not even attempt clean, that's all my leg would need. All on non-row days.

Given my situation, please what would your suggestions be. Thanks.

No, I'm not looking for any atta boys, pats on the back because of my age.

My crack, expert staff tells me that it's common that a loss of appetite accompanies pain, opiate use, and being 80. And chronic loss of appetite equals weight loss. So, one of two things is the case: either you cannot eat, i.e. you can't keep food down, or you don't want to eat. If the former, you have a situation you must deal with. If the latter you have a problem you can solve by making yourself eat even though you're not hungry. Oxycontin makes some people nauseous enough that it might need to be rethought if you want to eat enough to train effectively.

As for your training, I'd need to know more about the extent and nature of your spinal stenosis before I recommend that you get very rambunctious with barbell squats. You can probably do them if you start light enough and you have some help maintaining good form. Keep rowing and start squatting once a week, and see how you tolerate it. If well, add another workout. Get a rack. I don't see a need to squat more than 2x/week under your circumstances, even if there is no pain or recovery problem. Press as you can, and deadlifts are better than rows for about a dozen reasons. Keep us posted. I'll delete all the gratuitous ass-kissers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My crack, expert staff tells me that it's common that a loss of appetite accompanies pain, opiate use, and being 80. And chronic loss of appetite equals weight loss. So, one of two things is the case: either you cannot eat, i.e. you can't keep food down, or you don't want to eat. If the former, you have a situation you must deal with. If the latter you have a problem you can solve by making yourself eat even though you're not hungry. Oxycontin makes some people nauseous enough that it might need to be rethought if you want to eat enough to train effectively.
    Thanks for the reply coach.

Apparently my family and cardio guys' crack, expert, staffs didn't know these common factors pertaining to 80 year-old geezers taking opiates or did not think I would be interested.

My appetite is returning slowly as I get more acclimated to the Oxy, however, I do not want to gain any significant weight back even at the cost of getting stronger. I'm about eight pounds above my early twenties weight of 164, which gives me a cushion should something "bad" happens to me.
    Generally I feel very good, all because of the weight loss I think. The only problem is the leg, which should ease up as my legs and core get a bit stronger. I am aware enough to realize I will not gain much strength, I'm in it to perhaps live an additional two years longer than I would have without exercise. And especially feel better living.

As for your training, I'd need to know more about the extent and nature of your spinal stenosis before I recommend that you get very rambunctious with barbell squats.
    About all I can say is late July 08 I got into SS and after about two week in I screwed up my back, there was no trauma, it was one of these, felt fine until I woke up next morning deals and puts me where I am now; spinal stenosis, right leg femoral neuropathy. Five spinal injection sessions, and getting by on Oxycontin. Gonna have to live with it ...... at worst last year call the pain 10 now is 3, 4, or 5 depending where Jupiter is in its orbit.

You can probably do them if you start light enough and you have some help maintaining good form. Keep rowing and start squatting once a week, and see how you tolerate it. If well, add another workout. Get a rack. I don't see a need to squat more than 2x/week under your circumstances, even if there is no pain or recovery problem. Press as you can, and deadlifts are better than rows for about a dozen reasons. Keep us posted. I'll delete all the gratuitous ass-kissers for you.
    I will follow your suggestions. I thank you very much. I mostly wanted a confirming word from someone who knew what he is talking about, a crack (er jack) expert.

I have SS Basic Barbell Training and Strong Enough? Enthusiastic reader of your posts, thanks for the books and your charitable efforts here.

This will be an interesting thread to follow: My dad, who's 55, has a similar condition. He has severe stenosis of the cervical vertebrae (really severe arthritis in his neck) and is also on oxycontin. In about two months they are going to 'burn' his nerves to alleviate his pain. I hate how the doctors have 'written' him off like a lame horse and only try and treat the pain instead of the underlying condition. I try to talk to him about strength training but I guess I'm not convincing enough. Maybe some good ideas will come of this.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkusan View Post
    This will be an interesting thread to follow: My dad, who's 55, has a similar condition. He has severe stenosis of the cervical vertebrae (really severe arthritis in his neck) and is also on oxycontin. In about two months they are going to 'burn' his nerves to alleviate his pain. I hate how the doctors have 'written' him off like a lame horse and only try and treat the pain instead of the underlying condition. I try to talk to him about strength training but I guess I'm not convincing enough. Maybe some good ideas will come of this.
    Hi rikkusan,

Never heard of 'nerve burn', 5 MDs none ever mentioned it.

Googled for my case and found "Radiofrequency Ablation", which is I guess what they have in mind for your dad. What little I read sounds like the deal is much like spinal injections except instead of a syringe (whatever) the needle is actually a probe which emits radio frequency, something along the lines of microwaving, i.e. cooks the nerve.

Thanks for the info and good luck to your dad.

As far as my working out tried out very light load and my right leg just cannot handle it, that and I haven't done any exercise for a year come next month. I gotta start at the beginning and will stick with just rowing for now.