starting strength gym

Thread: Slow BP/OHP progress very early in the program.

Default Slow BP/OHP progress very early in the program.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 5'5" 153# 25 yo male. I've been doing the novice progression in ppst for about a month (8-9 workouts) now, starting from a completely unfit level in terms of strength/gpp. Never been athletic, etc.

My lifts during this time:

squat 75---130
    deadlift 135---190
    ohp 55---62
    bp 75---82

My diet is decent: probably about 1500-2k cal IN ADDITION to about 1/2 gal whole milk. Getting tons of sleep.

You're probably just gonna say its my form or something, but I figured it was worth asking because I really expected the progress to be a lot faster this early on based on the figures for progression given in your books.

Thanks

The problem is the "probably" part of the description of your diet. You're just not eating enough, and that's all there is to it.

To be more definitive about my diet, I've been averaging about .5-.75 gal of whole milk per day, which is about as much as I can choke down without making myself sick. In addition to that I try to have at least one calorie dense meal, like a cheeseburger with fries, per day. Throughout the rest of the typical day I have about the equivalent of two 600 cal pb&j sandwiches.

So about 1200 cal milk + 1200 cal fatty meal + 1200 cal miscellaneous = 3600.

Its pretty tough for me to eat more solid food than that, because the milk fills me up so much. I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll be able to adjust to it and accumulate it to a whole gal. Thanks.

Oh, btw since I started the thread 5 days ago my weight has fluctuated to 157ish and I'm making easy 2.5 jumps on bp/ohp so problem solved I hope!

Hey Rip,
    I have a similar concer with my BP and OHP. I have been on SS for 2 weeks now and have seen good increases in my other lifts. So I am not sure if it is how long I have been on the program or something else. My stats are;
    Age- 20
    Weight- 230
    BF- 18%
    Squat- 135lbs up to 199lbs
    Deadlift- 199lbs up to 243lbs
    Bench- 100lbs up to 111lbs
    OHP- 72lbs up to 89lbs
    Powerclean- 67lbs up to 94lbs

I have been eating around 2300-2500 calories a day, getting a day of rest in between workout days and drinking lots of water. Could my slow progression be from form or from something else?

See post #2 above.

ok, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See post #2 above.

I am not in the same situation.

I am eating anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories above maintenance and still fail to see improvement in those two movements. I've tried resetting and deloading to no effect.

Any advice you can give me coach?

starting strength coach development program
    See post #2 above.