starting strength gym

Thread: SS Goal/Weight Gain Question

Default SS Goal/Weight Gain Question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been a 3 on 1 off CrossFitter for about the last 10 months. I caught the competition bug this year and decided to head to a qualifier next year to try my hand at getting into the games. After setting that goal for myself, I decided that I am under-strong and needed to get some serious time on the weights. I am 25, 6'4" and weight about 205 pounds @ ~8-10 %BF. Current 1RMs are 345 squat, 385 deadlift, 135 press, 240 hang power clean, 8 strict chin ups, and a 7RM at 205 on the bench.

My goals for those lifts are 550 deadlift, 450 squat, 200 press, 300 bench press, and 300 power clean. I intend to use the novice phase for as long as it is productive and after 1 or 2 resets do some evaluation depending on how far out from the games qualifiers I am. At that point I want to either get into more intermediate strength programming or go towards metcon.

My big question involves weight gain/diet during training. I assume that for strictly strength training, 6'4" and 210 is way too light. I am looking for some insight on size for someone my height. I have no problem with gaining body fat as my main concern is linear strength gains for as long as possible so as to be competitive next July. If I were working out in your gym, with these stated goals, what size would you want me to be?

At least 275. But you have the potential to be actually strong at 300. By that I mean 650 DL, 600 SQ, 400 BP, 300 PR, 350 PC. These numbers do not represent a powerlifter's specialization, but rather the good corn-fed strength of a big man.

After 1 week of Starting Strength novice workout, I'm already up to 220 from 205. If my gains keep coming smoothly I'll be doing work sets with 315+ on my squat next week. This stuff is like magic for gaining size and strength as quickly as possible. Thanks coach!