starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of safeties holding back my bench press?

Default Lack of safeties holding back my bench press?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just wondering if this may be an issue. My gym does not have power cages or a bench with safeties. A few times I've gotten stuck and had to dump the weights. It's a bit embarrassing when it happens and somewhat unpleasant of an experience. I wonder if knowing this holds me back. Luckily there's a lower set of hooks on the bench, so when I get stuck at 4 1/2, I can *usually* at least get the bar into those. I tend to be conservative with that 5th rep if it seems unlikely to complete it after 4, though.

I got stuck at the bottom several times when I lifted at the ymca. Sometimes I did the roll of shame (which is dangerous and embarrassing), sometimes I croaked "help" (which is safer but more embarrassing).
    Then I started asking for a spot ahead of time, which is like, obviously, the smart thing to do.

Finally I bought a Rogue S1 with spotter arms and lift safely at home.

I never tried to move the bar over my face with bent elbows while desperately tired aka use the low hooks. That was too risky for me. I don't want to remove all my front teeth, or my trachea.

Surely your gym has other members. Get one of them to spot you.

Really? No safeties on the bench press? After this front page article on Starting Strength:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...barbell_safety

If nothing else, read the above URL and do what it says.

Get proper safeties and use them. People die doing bench without. Use spotters, a new gym with the right equipment, or rack at home. Rip and other people much more experienced than I are clear about it- don't bench if you don't have and use the safeties.

Read the section in Starting Strenth about how to move the barbell above your head (with locked elbows, as another poster said), how to rack and un rack the bar, and other safety material in the bench press section.

You can follow the discussion about this topic on Rips Q&A. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=51341
    Last edited by nated1; 08-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.

What hamburger said. If you're even a little unsure about the set, get someone to spot you. Dumping the weight is better than having it on your neck, but if you're not the only one in the room people can get hurt. Falling 45s are no joke.

I did read that article when it was in the newsletter. I'm frequently the only one in my gym. I may have to look for a new place.

Pull a flat bench into the power cage.

There's a squat rack with safeties, but last time I tried putting a bench in there, I didn't have enough room for my arms. I'll check it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretInternetFatty View Post
    I didn't have enough room for my arms.
    Are you serious or quoting Paul Horn?

If the rack works, great. If not, ask for a spot. Third option is to let your bench press lag and only do reps/sets that you're sure of. Which is a lot better than dying. Don't get stuck under a barbell without a spotter. Seriously.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Are you serious or quoting Paul Horn?

If the rack works, great. If not, ask for a spot. Third option is to let your bench press lag and only do reps/sets that you're sure of. Which is a lot better than dying. Don't get stuck under a barbell without a spotter. Seriously.
    Haha...sounds like I'm saying I'm hyooooge. Didn't mean that. I should have said elbows. The squat rack is fairly narrow. May have to let it lag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast