starting strength gym

Thread: What the hell am i doing wrong - squat 245 all high

Default What the hell am i doing wrong - squat 245 all high

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I deloaded all the way from 300 to 245, this weight felt light as hell. I have hit depth before so i know its possible, i just don't know what i'm doing when i hit depth versus when i do not hit depth.

Squat 245 back, tried pointing my toes out more, didn't do shit

Squat 245 side
    I noticed again that the bar slides forward towards my toes and isn't straight up and down like it should be

Video from front
    I don't even know

Of all that shit i don't know i know to hit depth:
    • shoulder width stance
    • shove my knees out
    • commit to going deep
    • Eye gaze down

I know its not a commitment issue because i could pause with 245 and not go down any deeper, and my gaze looks okay maybe even excessively looking down because i usually face a wall.

The only video I can really comment on regarding depth is the one from the side. You are on the border of high for a few reps. You need to go an inch or two deeper and you will be there. This is not a huge, unsolvable problem. When you think you got to the bottom, just keep going a little further.

I know I'm on the border which is why it's so frustrating, I feel I hit the same bottom position even if I pause. Does that just mean I should move a bit wider to move further between my hips?

Going wider sometimes makes getting depth harder. A pause is not necessarily the answer, either. A solid box below parallel, might be of use to you, however. I generally use bumper plates for this at the gym. You may need to be a little more creative. Whatever you use, make sure it is sturdy. Use your cell phone, or a reasonably observant person to gauge the proper height of the box. This may teach you how it feels to get down lower. Pause on the box for a second and then come back up.

Okay so if i'm correct i should play with a few things: foot angle, stance width then get a buddy to film me to where ever i end up and try to get something sturdy that is right below that point. I should have enough 2x4's and horse mat around to make a box.

Quote Originally Posted by James72090 View Post
    Okay so if i'm correct i should play with a few things: foot angle, stance width then get a buddy to film me to where ever i end up and try to get something sturdy that is right below that point. I should have enough 2x4's and horse mat around to make a box.
    You need to get the crease of your hip below the top of your knee and either you (via video), or someone else needs to say where that is. The rest of the plan looks good.

Is this to depth or a camera trick? I'm looking at the bottom of my hip crease and drawing a line parallel to the bottom of the video.
    squat 255

starting strength coach development program
    You are really close and I think your last rep was below parallel. The others may or may not have been there. Go for beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt deep.