starting strength gym

Thread: Is Coach that teaches squat with head up any good?

Default Is Coach that teaches squat with head up any good?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm not sure if this question was successfully sent, so I'm trying again with a short version.

Bottom line:
    On the one hand, the guy has won the "USAPL Drug Free State Power Lifting Champion."

On the other, his brother coached me today for a bit [the only other person he trusts of his people to teach the squat], and insisted I keep my head up, eyes fixed at some spot high on the wall. Said brother demonstrated some empty bar squats to me, and they were clearly above parallel.

He said he had his knees replaced. Is this a good sign, a reason why his squat was high? Or a bad sign [=squatted so bad for years he ruined his knees].

He talked about how my back should be upright when squatting.

In short, I'm not going to be learning the official Rippetoe squat there.

Is it worth paying a bit extra to learn what they know [such as power cleans and their version of the squat] or on the contrary, flee as far as I can from the place?

Does the Official Rippetoe Squat make sense to you, as explained in BBT? If so, you should probably do it that way. If it makes more sense to you to squat another way because "THAT'S THE WAY WE FUCKING DO IT HERE, YOU PUSSY!!" then squat the other way. I think I have done a good job of explaining why squats should be deep, and why a more horizontal back angle and eyes-down works to involve more muscle mass. You must be the judge.

TY for getting to the heart of the matter.

Search for gym continues.