starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a setup where you don't squat heavy and DL heavy on the same day?

Default is there a setup where you don't squat heavy and DL heavy on the same day?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I think these 2 lifts are fighting each other at this point.

I also think I can still eek out a little weekly/bi weekly progress on the bench and press in a linear fashion, but I am at a loss as to how to set this all up.

Stats 47 YO

6'4" 260 lbs and falling. Weight gain not really an option due to medical issues.

Squat 275
    DL 305
    Bench 225 x 3
    Press 135 x 3 or 4

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    Stats 47 YO

6'4" 260 lbs and falling. Weight gain not really an option due to medical issues.

Squat 275
    DL 305
    Bench 225 x 3
    Press 135 x 3 or 4
    Are you deadlifting every workout? Have you switched to the advanced novice template for squats yet? Are you failing reps or are they just feeling hard? Need lots more info.

Doing HLM squat days
    Alternating DL with Rows

Squat I am failing have left it on the safetys a few times

DL I think I need straps, my hands are at their limit, due to spinning wrenches for 30 years. On H squat day Deadlift won't come off the floor.

Doing HLM squat days
    Alternating DL with Rows

DL I think I need straps, my hands are at their limit, due to spinning wrenches for 30 years. On H squat day Deadlift won't come off the floor.
    Well, your deadlift grip issues are a separate issue that's been covered ad infinitum, recently and in the more distant past, but I can point you to some discussions on those if you want to get into it. As far as your original question, if you're already squatting HLM, you probably should have decreased the deadlift frequency to 1x/week by now, but that's moot. Try putting it on medium day.

I think these 2 lifts are fighting each other at this point.

I also think I can still eek out a little weekly/bi weekly progress on the bench and press in a linear fashion, but I am at a loss as to how to set this all up.
    Check out the Practical Programming book. Lots of suggestions in there

If your doing a HLM setup, you don't have to run all your "heavy" lifts on the same day. You can mix things up and go light squat/heavy pull/ medium press for a single session. Garage Gym Warrior uses this approach and it works great. You never feel beat up, and you can use most your energy for the heavy lift of that day.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    If your doing a HLM setup, you don't have to run all your "heavy" lifts on the same day. You can mix things up and go light squat/heavy pull/ medium press for a single session. Garage Gym Warrior uses this approach and it works great. You never feel beat up, and you can use most your energy for the heavy lift of that day.
    I've used this approach with good success with a lot of people. Each category of lift (squat, press, pull) gets a heavy, medium, and light day per week, but they are mixed and matched throughout the week. Works especially well for people who need their workout length to be relatively consistent because they don't have time for a really long day once a week - i.e. instead of heavy day taking 100 mins and light day taking 40, all three days can take about an hour.

Regarding the OP - you weren't clear. Are you alternating DL with rows every workout? I'd stop that and just DL once a week, probably on medium squat day at the end of the week but could also do on light squat day, and do rows on heavy squat day at the beginning of the week. Later on, when you need more work and DLing twice a week is appropriate, you can switch to light DL on heavy squat day, rows on light squat day, and heavy DL on light squat day.

I'm about your age and size and have been enjoying the 4 day Texas Method program outlined in PPST with the change that I do the i set of 5 heavy deadlifts on Saturday or Sunday, as their own day, NOT as part of intensity squat day. I really like this set up because, although it turns the 4 day Texas Method into a 5 day setup, it shortens the length of my squat intesity day workout, allows me to focus on each lift by itself and I get to "exercise" or workout 5 days per week, rather than 4 and I enjoy doing a little somethign more frequently, not less frequently. I lift at home, so ymmv.

starting strength coach development program
    Doing HLM squat days
    Alternating DL with Rows

So, as anathema as this may seem: You don't have to squat 3 times a week. I squat 2x a week, a lightish day and a heavy day and pull once a week. No other pulling, just lots of chins.

Now, I am 43, but I have used this approach to get my pulls well over 600 and my squats well over 500.

Of course, it could be just as easy, as messing with what day you pull "heavy" and what day you squat "heavy." As many have already stated, you can have a "heavy" for each lift. Bottom line: as an intermediate lifter, don't hesitate to experiment to figure out what works for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast