starting strength gym

Thread: Power cleans as deadlift warmup for more frequency?

Default Power cleans as deadlift warmup for more frequency?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, I am running LP, and alternating deadlifts and power cleans, and I’m doing chins on the power clean days. I was wondering if I could do some power cleans on my deadlift day as a warmup for deadlifts? Maybe work up to a single on the power clean, and then 2 warmup DL sets, then move up to worksets. I ask this because I think at the beginning I added power clean late because my power clean is 145x3x5, but my deadlift is much farther ahead at 340x5. So I was thinking the extra cleaning frequency might help improve the dl/pc ratio because I can practice it more. It’s not a genetic inefficiency because I’m on the “explosive” side of genetics. I’m not a total freak but I’m noticeably explosive. So I think it is technique. I’m 15, 169lbs. Thoughts? Thanks.

I've known some people to do so, but I prefer practicing the technique of the lift I'll be doing, rather than a related but different movement.

Based on age and weight, no you don’t need this yet. It will catch up.

The suggestion of power cleaning your DL warm ups is made in the context of an advanced novice who is now deadlifting 2x a week, once heavy, once light and chinning on the workout in between. The PC is used there to not increase the frequency, but simply to avoid it being eliminated.

See Michael Wolf’s reply in the thread “Extending the LP”. I believe it’s linked in the SSC board’s sticky.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!