starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi everyone,

some side explanations.. 6 weeks ago my left knee began to hurt and i visited some doctors ...Meanwhile MRT images of my knee were taken but i don't have a diagnose yet... and yes my Doctor told me that i should not squat at all. Instead i could use leg-press, leg-extension, leg-curl and Hackenschmitt-Machine ;> ... strange guy .. probably i need a new one.

During this time i planned to do some Conditioning and body weight exercises. Unfortunately i became sick twice and was completely off for about 3 weeks.

However my knee feels better and i squatted today with a major deload of about 20%, but my form is far from perfect.

Advices are very welcome... beside my awful bar placement during set 2.

http://youtu.be/A_Oegst08kE

regards and thanks in advance
    Matze

How much pain are you in on a scale of 1 to 10? Remember that 10 means you are right about to die.

You shift your weight to the right side on your way up. This may be due to you compensating for your knee, or it could also be a short leg. Such things are not uncommon.

Narrow your stance slightly. Drive up with your hips. Don't lift your chest. Concentrate on keeping the weight evenly distributed across both feet.

Thank you.

On that pain-scale .. meanwhile with sleeves between 1 and 2.

This video is from Monday: http://youtu.be/Xtm0-GAy3o0 ... i am not sure... but my knees dont travel forward enough and i am leaning to much forward?

A Side question.
    I am about 6'5'' @ 230lbs... my training partner is the opinion i should gain 10 to 15 lbs.
    My personal best (6 weeks ago)
    Squat 3x5x210 (bad form)
    DL 1x5x310
    bench 3x5x170
    OP1.0: 3x5x120
    .. any recommendations on that?

best regards and thanks in advance

Pain around 1 to 2 doesn't normally warrant a trip to the doctor. Try stretching, or getting a massage and see if those help.

Forward lean is fine. Knees forward position looks okay. Drive your knees out harder. At 6'5", you can indeed be heavier than 230. However, for right now, get your squat up at least 50 pounds above your bodyweight before worrying about any weight gain.

Thank you for you recommendation. Meanwhile the pain is nearly gone. The main reason i went to the doctor was strange noise coming out of my knee .. something like broken gear wheels.

Ok ill try to maintain my bw and post an other form check when my squat is somewhere around 300 ... end of next year, i hope.

By any chance, do you have flat feet? Tom did not comment on this so I don't know how big of a deal it is, but I noticed that your feet point out quite a bit. This wouldn't be a problem, except that I noticed that your knees will track in on the ascent despite being properly aligned on the descent. I ask primarily because I have this same issue.

His toe angle is not excessive. In fact, it is normal. He does need to drive his knees out more, which I may have mentioned above already.

one more ...

i am not so sure if thats enough "knees out" 3rd set today: http://youtu.be/LNltT3HWDK4

thank you in advance, again
    Matze

Do me a favor and get a rear oblique shot. Shots from the front are the least useful. Please read the sticky about this.

Your knees are better, but you are still shifting off to the right. What happens if you shim your right foot with a 1/2" piece of plywood or rubber?

starting strength coach development program
    thank you again... i cant tell you how happy i am that you are helping me

ill make a new video tomorrow ... unfortunately i have to face this huge annoying mirror ... i hate this.

What i forgot to mention (usually dont think about it), as a child (age 10) i had a open compound fracture of my right shin.. could be a reason for your uneven legs assumption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast