starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press - working sets

Default Press - working sets

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

I have stalled on the press at 50kg.

My previous session was 3 x 5 @ 47.5kg. Two days ago, I managed 1 x 5 @ 50kg, rested approx 5 minutes and then managed 1 x 3 @50kg before reducing the weight back to 47.5kg to finish that set and the final set.

I know my diet is in order, sleep is good and I weigh 183 pounds at around 5 foot 9. I bench press today and press again in a couple of days.

There seem to be a few strategies. Should I begin microloading the press now (i.e. purchase microweights), extend my rest periods to 10 mins or build up my ability to press 50kg gradually (ie. two full sets at 50kg next time if possible)?

My bench is still improving so will that eventually facilitate gains with the press?

My other lifts for reference:

Squat: 110kg 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 140kg 3 x 5
    Bench: 32.5kg dumbells 3 x 5 (or 67.5kg bar if I have a spotter)
    Power Clean: 60kg 5 x 3

My goal is to press .75 x my bodyweight.

Thanks - really appreciate your work and this board.

50/67.5= 74. This means that your press is roughly 75% of your bench press. When someone's press is 66% of their bench, we usually say that this is a good ratio - that they are pressing a respectable amount compared to their bench. So, you are pressing quite a bit compared to your bench. Give yourself another couple of press workouts to try and get 3 x 5 with 50 (with perfect form of course). If in the next two press workouts you do not get the desired reps, take 10% off of the press and start the progression from there. If all of your other lifts are progressing, then do not apply this strategy to them. All of this information is in Practical Programming for Strength Training 2nd edition, except for the 66% thing which was in an article Rip wrote for T-Nation over the summer about the press.

Your press is in proportion. Everything is just low in general. There's no need to do anything specific for your press..you simply need to get stronger everywhere. When your bench is over 200lbs your press will be much higher. Then you can start worrying about different programming. When your deadlift is well into the 300s lbs then you'll have to start adding in CHins which will also help your bench and press further.

In some cases people need very specific programming to keep progressing their press. It eventually needs specific attention. But yours will go up a ton by simply increasing the squat/dead/bench numbers.

Sounds like you are primarily dumbbell benching. Why not barbell bench in the squat rack with pins when you don't have a spotter?

Jekins, yes I prefer the dumbbell press to the flat bench and I haven't stalled yet. Originally, I benched from the power rack until it got to the point when I really needed a spotter. As someone who trains quite late out of necessity I didn't feel comfortable without a spotter, hence the switch to DBs (starting at 22.5kg).

Jay, would you advise that I invest in some microweights now? Once I have three sets of 5 for 50kg nailed down, the same with 52.5kg seems quite a daunting prospect. Would .5kg plates be more productive?

Rational, my one rep max on the DL when tested was 165kg despite 5 x 140kg being very hard. However, I feel that sets of 5 for bench and presses are closer to my ORM now. It feels like there is plenty of untapped potential in the SQ/DL but none in the bench and press.

I haven't switched to the new press technique as yet. Shoul I deload and work back up using the new style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekins View Post
    Sounds like you are primarily dumbbell benching. Why not barbell bench in the squat rack with pins when you don't have a spotter?
    The pins are quite awkward - they just about crush me (an inch or so too low) on the closest setting but the next pin up is way too high.

Of course it depends on the rack, but I find that if I arch my back, I can touch my chest with the bar without touching the pins, but if I slide the bar toward my neck, it hits the pins before my neck.

Are you training on your own or at a gym? Is there someone who can spot you so that you can bench with a barbell?

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    Are you training on your own or at a gym? Is there someone who can spot you so that you can bench with a barbell?
    I have access to a gym and usually train between 9pm and 11pm. Sometimes there are other people about but more often than not I'm on my own. When I have the opportunity for a spot I take it and use the barbell.

Jekins, I'll give that a try.

starting strength coach development program
    Micro loading, more rest between sets. You really don't need a spotter for bench before novice stage is over. Just roll the bar to the side and drop the weights or use your hipflexors and abs to get yourself up and get the bar on the bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast