starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Chalk shorten the life of a lifting belt?

Question Can Chalk shorten the life of a lifting belt?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was just curious and partially OCD about this. Will chalk somehow harm of shorten the life of a lifting belt if it gets on it? Like will it cause the stitching to where out faster? I was thinking of getting some chalk as I have never used it before and was hesitant for this very reason.

Lay off the weed, Dylan.

No, and you should get chalk anyway. Next question.

Not very likely. But, as Adam Skillin has pointed out, if your belt has a layer of suede, a light wire brushing will take care of any potential problems. If your belt is cowhide, a wire brush will roughen the surface grain of leather. If you don't care about that, then brush away.

The real long term threat to any belt and stitching is absorbed sweat. Even that is minimal depending on the type of leather and thread used. Most of the thread is heavy gauge waxed stock and so resistant to absorbed sweat. It's just possible, if you bought a cheapie belt where lighter weight cotton thread was used, for this to become a problem. Some insurance for care of the leather if you think it is necessary might be to rub some neatsfoot oil into the belt 2-3 times a year. This will alter the appearance and darken the layer of suede if that matters to you. Likewise with straight cowhide.

Smoke more weed, Dylan.

a belt isn't really a belt unless you've got chalk on it. doesn't look right. i don't know why everybody wants their belts to look brand spanking new. a belt that's well broken in and has chalk all over it implies it's been put to work for which it was designed.

I saw Jordan F's belt at a seminar -- it was badly waterstained. And yet he's stronger than shit.

My belt unfortunately still looks pretty new, I haven't used it hard enough. I dream of the day when it's all worn out...

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Am I missing some joke?
    I don't think so. Unless you missed the joke where I implied that Dylan was showing signs of marijuana-induced paranoia, but I felt like it was pretty obvious.

Oh just wait. Diebolt will check in on this eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Adam, your sense of humor is admirable, but thanks for answering the question. As far as chalk goes, I just picked some up from Dick's, is there huge differences in quality of chalks or is magnesium carbonate, magnesium carbonate? The brand i got was Cramer, was like 8 bucks for 2, 2oz blocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast