starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Proportions and Deadlift

Default Body Proportions and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In almost anything I've read here, in your books, and online workout logs, I see that most people have a deadlift that is about 10% to 20% higher than their squat. Mine is the opposite. My approximate 5RM for squat and dead are about 350 and 325 respectively.

A few months ago, I went to a tailor to buy an expensive suit, and he took many measurements. He commented that for someone that was 6'2", I had a long torso in relation to my legs. While I don't look disproportionate, this tailor measures 100's of guys so I tend to believe him. Could this have anything to do with my backwards numbers? If anything, I would think the longer torso would make my dead higher.

Short arms? What is your shirt size?

My arms, measured across my back from knuckle to knuckle are 72.5 inches.

Here is a link to last weeks DL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8SkHtbpQs

Your problem appears to be your grip. Are you hooking? Maybe some chalk would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your problem appears to be your grip. Are you hooking? Maybe some chalk would help.
    Hard to see, but I am using chalk. I use the grip you suggest in one of the videos, which greatly alleviated calluses on my palms. My grip did not feel like the weak link - what I mean is I didn't stop because my grip was failing, but more because I had nothing left that day. Another rep would have failed and/or I would have had a breakdown in form. (By the way - since you did not point out anything in my form, I assume it was acceptable)

Nothing much wrong with your form. If you are out of gas, it's diet.

Also, your proportions could very well have something to do with your backwards numbers. Short femurs and legs/long torsos generally make for really good squatters. While longer legged individuals typically have a much better DL. I'm the opposite of you, Roughly 36" inseam and only 6'1" on a good day. My DL is much higher than my squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    ...Roughly 36" inseam and only 6'1" on a good day.
    Out of interest, do you pull from a very very horizontal (perhaps even greater than horizontal) position? In the standard setup position my back angle is >90 degrees to vertical because of my long legs. Have you made any adjustment for that?

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Out of interest, do you pull from a very very horizontal (perhaps even greater than horizontal) position? In the standard setup position my back angle is >90 degrees to vertical because of my long legs. Have you made any adjustment for that?
    Funny you should mention that, I actually posted about that exact same concern it in the thread below and Tom was gracious enough to help me out. I'm very horizontal yes, and the standard setup doesn't quite seem to click for me without dropping my hips. It's work in progress right now. I've got a video or two in the thread below. Out of curiosity, do you have one I could take a look at?

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=56302

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    First and foremost, if you're measuring 72.5" from each proximal knuckle, you'd add about 6" to that for the two middle fingers and come up with a wingspan of ~78.5, which seems fine for a guy who's 74" tall.

I'd agree with Rip with nothing else pathological known, although I'd be curious to see your squat form.

If nothing else, some light SLDL work after the DL worksets might help get your numbers up.
    Squats from last week. I know my depth was not quite there. Anyway, here it is :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qdzcmoO_n4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast