starting strength gym

Thread: John Broz Interview

Default John Broz Interview

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

watched that the other day - he's very different from most other american weightlifting coaches. It's a breath of fresh air. Def wondering who the coach is that got corrected about the accessory lift.

Def wondering what the accessory lift is.

My guess is clean/snatch pulls. IDK why. I just have a feeling

That was what I imagined, too.

Great interview. Highly motivating. I love his bit about setting high lifetime goals. Set a goal for a 700 squat, you might fall short and only squat 650.

Would definitely be in interesting experiment to squat every day for a month... worse thing is you would build some serious manhood.

I've been on sort of a s & c interview binge lately. Common thread I found is that the mental aspect of training is as important or even the most important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    I've been on sort of a s & c interview binge lately. Common thread I found is that the mental aspect of training is as important or even the most important factor.
    I don't doubt the mental part of training one bit. But I do question a more specific definition of "mental part". Is it being committed to showing up and doing the work consistently? Is it the mental part of trusting your body to handle "heavy" weights that our brain has a tendency to say WTF you thinking? Is it the mental part of psyching up for a max effort lift?

Quote Originally Posted by JTC_MN View Post
    I don't doubt the mental part of training one bit. But I do question a more specific definition of "mental part". Is it being committed to showing up and doing the work consistently? Is it the mental part of trusting your body to handle "heavy" weights that our brain has a tendency to say WTF you thinking? Is it the mental part of psyching up for a max effort lift?
    Yes. And more. For me the "mental part" is when you have the choice of do or do not. Do I train today, do I train heavy, do I push myself to complete the reps, do I follow my diet?

Jonathan Sutton Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bearss View Post
    Great interview. Highly motivating. I love his bit about setting high lifetime goals. Set a goal for a 700 squat, you might fall short and only squat 650.
    Absolutely. I watched the first half or so and listened to Broz talking about learning to fight with heavy weights, and how that's a skill in itself separate from other aspects of lifting. Next day went out and set a deadlift PR because I stopped freaking out at how heavy the weight felt when it broke off the ground.

I particularly enjoyed the bit at ~43:00 about the Iranian 85kg guy who was pissed because he missed a WR clean and jerk, even though he won the world champs. Here's a video of him from a couple years back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVQpU2F9Rc. Talk about fighting with the weight...! Rip's right, strong beats ugly.
    Last edited by Jonathan Sutton; 04-25-2015 at 03:02 PM.