starting strength gym

Thread: Charlie Horse in my Left Buttcheek

Default Charlie Horse in my Left Buttcheek

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been running out the split routine from PP 3rd edition and was going really well. However, over the last few weeks I have been feeling beat up as all hell. I dropped squat volume down to 4 sets of 5 down from 5x5 on volume day. Work has been busy, but I usually managed just fine in the past. I squatted 312.5x4x5 and the following week I was buried under 315x4x5.

I was hoping to get my max squat up to 400lbs; even after the fail, I still managed 340x3x2. I also want my deadlift up to 500 lbs and let's not talk about my shitty bench (I was shooting for 225lb max by the end of winter; I managed 205x3x2 last week)

Anyways, I was pulling a 455 dead lift and over the next two days, I could feel some muscle soreness in my left buttcheek. This is a new one for me and it's been nagging for a few weeks now and really starting to piss me off. I have been stretching in the mornings, but it doesn't seem to help to make go away. It gets worse if I'm driving my desk all day at work. Ibuprofen makes it go away. It's not severe pain, just enough to make me cranky at work, but I feel it is enough to mess with my squat and dead lift and maybe my sleep.

Any recommendations to get past this state are greatly valued. And no, I don't want to kill my liver by eating ibuprofen sandwiches. I only kill him with booze.

Thanks.

Do this stretch with your knee wedged into your office chair rather than on the floor. Every hour, without fail, for 2 minutes per side. If you're sitting all day, you need to do this.

I'll give it a try and see how she goes. Probably can't do this one while driving unless I get creative.

So this bastard continues to give me some fits. I can stretch it out and it feels better, just causes just enough tinge to affect my squats and pulls. I have been waking up pretty stiff too. I don't think it's anything serious since I managed to shovel 3 CY of topsoil and build a raised garden bed for the wife this weekend. I am thinking about doing a serious deload...maybe down to 275 lbs from 315 lbs on volume days and dropping deads down to 380 lbs or so from about 460 lbs. I think I injured the muscle dead lifting and lifting heavy isn't getting me anywhere. I have also been feeling drained and not looking forward to lifting. After my squat volume day (around 7pm) the whole next day I felt like I had been drinking cheap beer all night. Not a good day at work to say the least. Any thoughts? Good idea? Or should I take a rest week with stretching?

These things suck so bad. I dealt with it for almost two years - 6-8 level constant pain. I don't think you should take any time off. Use a softball or lacrosse ball and get to work on everything between your mid thigh and belly button. If you can find an ART therapist in your area, I highly recommend it. What finally took care of my piriformis/sciatic/hip issue was a 145 lb ART certified massage therapist and 5 sessions. The shit literally disappeared after 5 sessions spread over 6 weeks along with some hip flexor stretching.

ART? Sorry, I don't recall this acronym.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks dude.

Btw, I'm no where near a 6 to 8 pain level. As usual, I should really stop being a sissy.