starting strength gym

Thread: Suggested kalories for non-meat and non-fish eater

Default Suggested kalories for non-meat and non-fish eater

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

in your nutrition seminar you stated that you would probably give more than 200g of protein people who are a bit older and vegetarian/vegan. I'm 29 years, 5"11 @ 187lbs and I'm not eating meat/fish. How much above the 200g would you take me if my goal was to optimize performance on the SS program. My protein sources are mainly whey, milk, eggs, oats, rice and potatoes.

Thanks in advance and also great job with the nutrition seminar, I really enjoyed the lecture.

My protein sources are mainly whey, milk, eggs, oats, rice and potatoes.
    I assume you mean rice and potato protein when you refer to these as protein sources?

I'd put you up to 250g of protein per day though. Thanks for the kind words!

No, I mean potatoes and rice as a whole food. I just mentioned it to make my list of protein sources look more diverse. No, I'm not ashamed. The majority of my protein comes from 120-150g whey, 4 eggs, 200g oats per day. In addition to that I also eat either rice or potatoes to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for your time and advice, Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerber View Post
    No, I mean potatoes and rice as a whole food. I just mentioned it to make my list of protein sources look more diverse. No, I'm not ashamed. The majority of my protein comes from 120-150g whey, 4 eggs, 200g oats per day. In addition to that I also eat either rice or potatoes to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for your time and advice, Jordan!
    I'd look into some different protein sources, but admittedly-doing it as a vegetarian is tough!

For performance purposes, or health purposes, too? Didn't you say that the more whey you consume to reach your protein macros, the better? Does it really make that much of a differnce in terms of performance if I eat meat/fish or not? Even if I did eat meat I would probably only go for like 200 g per day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerber View Post
    For performance purposes, or health purposes, too? Didn't you say that the more whey you consume to reach your protein macros, the better? Does it really make that much of a differnce in terms of performance if I eat meat/fish or not? Even if I did eat meat I would probably only go for like 200 g per day.
    I definitely did not say that the more whey you consume to reach your protein macros the better. I am not sure if there is a difference in performance or health if you eat meat/fish vs. just whey and eggs, but my intuition says yes (could be totally wrong). 200g/day would be fine of total protein if eating an omnivorous diet.