starting strength gym

Thread: Upper arm internal tenderness

Default Upper arm internal tenderness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Guys,

I've just completed session 5 of starting strength, just today squatted 52.5kg. Previously to today, I have found that the act of stretching my arms out beside me, while getting the bar into lower back squat position has caused some minor discomfort (I'm hesitant to say pain, because it is more the soreness you would feel in your legs, when someone who can't touch their toes, tries to force themselves to touch their toes). I have previously been shaking my arms around after each set, and it was going away. However, after Sundays session, that sensation lingered for maybe 24 hours, and today (Tuesday), it was actually worse, such that after 5 reps of 52.5kg I was able to complete the fifth rep fine, but then while trying to rack it, the pain intensified and I was unable to get it into the rack. (Perhaps it was a little bit too high, or perhaps the soreness caused myself to allow the bar to get a little too low?).

The pain/soreness is only connected to with my arm position in the low back squat. My coach suggested (correctly) that moving into upper back squat form would allow me to complete the next two sets of 5x52.5kg. I was also able to bench and deadlift with no problem whatsoever. However following this, actions like opening a cupboard, and steering the car are irritating enough to be annoying.

Any tips, suggestions, advice. I think I'll be upper back squatting for a bit.

(NB: Initially I was not scared of stretching my arms in a way that caused some minor discomfort/pain, as I remember years ago, that I initially couldn't do a full ATG squat, and it took me several weeks (or months) of carefully lowering myself lower and lower into squats, causing basically that same sensation, but in my legs)

Thanks!

Jacob's SS log

Upper arm is a pretty large area. Can you be more specific?

Record your squat form and post a video here.

I suspect you may need to widen your grip a little bit based on your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    Upper arm is a pretty large area. Can you be more specific?

I suspect you may need to widen your grip a little bit based on your description.
    Yep, I have been using quite a wide grip already, I am no expert in physiology, but it seems like the top of the bicep—but not inside the shoulder itself. i.e. It feels like it would be possible massage the aching area, if it wasn't deeper under the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    Yep, I have been using quite a wide grip already, I am no expert in physiology, but it seems like the top of the bicep—but not inside the shoulder itself. i.e. It feels like it would be possible massage the aching area, if it wasn't deeper under the skin.
    When you squat, does it feel like you are supporting the weight with your arms or are you raising your elbows and pushing the bar into your back and keeping your shoulder blades pinched together very tightly? I may be off the mark here with what your specific issue ,is, but if you are supporting the bar with your arms and not your back you will have pain.

I had a similar situation a few months ago. My right bicep would be very sore - almost numb after squatting. I'd check a couple things - 1) do NOT support the bar with your arms. If you have the Low Bar form correct, the bar is just wedged in between your traps and your hands. the weight should all be on your back, basically. 2) I think my pain was related to lack of mobility in my shoulders and scapulae. I was straining to push my shoulder blades together and to keep my hands as close as possible on the bar. Don't be afraid to keep your grip wide right now and as time goes on to bring your hands in. maybe you have something different going on., but that worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    I had a similar situation a few months ago. My right bicep would be very sore - almost numb after squatting. I'd check a couple things - 1) do NOT support the bar with your arms. If you have the Low Bar form correct, the bar is just wedged in between your traps and your hands. the weight should all be on your back, basically. 2) I think my pain was related to lack of mobility in my shoulders and scapulae. I was straining to push my shoulder blades together and to keep my hands as close as possible on the bar. Don't be afraid to keep your grip wide right now and as time goes on to bring your hands in. maybe you have something different going on., but that worked for me!
    Thanks for your reply, this thing has certainly freaked me out a little. It turned into maybe a constant 2 (out of ten) pain in my upper bicep area while not using it. Having read other posts on the forum, I have come to the conclusion that its probably not a result of putting weight on my arms during the squat movement, (no pain in elbow area), but pain from stretching out my arms, combined with how at the end of each set, the standing up at the end is putting some backwards (stretching force). i.e. I don't think the weight is travelling through my arms, but in the upright position my arms do seem to have to push forward more to hold the bar in place.

Im concerned enough that I will definitely do high bar squat for a short while to see how that goes. I don't want any permanent scar tissue. How long did the issue take to heal itself for you (or did the soreness subside after each session?).
    Last edited by Jacob R; 02-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    Thanks for your reply, this thing has certainly freaked me out a little. It turned into maybe a constant 2 (out of ten) pain in my upper bicep area while not using it. Having read other posts on the forum, I have come to the conclusion that its probably not a result of putting weight on my arms during the squat movement, (no pain in elbow area), but pain from stretching out my arms, combined with how at the end of each set, the standing up at the end is putting some backwards (stretching force). i.e. I don't think the weight is travelling through my arms, but in the upright position my arms do seem to have to push forward more to hold the bar in place.

Im concerned enough that I will definitely do high bar squat for a short while to see how that goes. I don't want any permanent scar tissue. How long did the issue take to heal itself for you (or was it only temporary).
    It bothered me for ~6 weeks, but only 2 or 3 was it really bad. I found that adjusting my hands helped a ton. If you can, I'd avoid high bar.

Thanks. At this point I do have a preference for low bar. But I'll have to see how it goes tomorrow. (I'd rather do high bar than no squat at all, if it comes to that).

you could try re-setting to a lower weight, adjusting your grip and then working back up. just a thought

starting strength coach development program
    most likely you have biceps tendinitis. While I wouldn't be able to tell without seeing you but it is a very common problem due to the attachment point deep in the shoulder. Try adding in some high rep high rep dumb bell curls or chin-ups and see if that helps.