starting strength gym

Thread: What just happened? Warmup deadlift ends in pain

Default What just happened? Warmup deadlift ends in pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    As background I'm coming back from 10 days of not training due to severe plantar fasciitis pain in my right foot. Warming up with 225, heading for a work set of 275. You'll see the first painful moment on rep #3, mild enough that I thought I'd test it with another rep. #4 shows reaction to sharp pain, cussing edited out.
    My questions: 1. do you see any form issue that could have caused it? And 2. What musculoskeletal part of me could be injured?
    I iced it immediately, on and off for 2 hours. No swelling so far, tomorrow may be a different story.
    Age 65, 228lbs, 5 yrs lifting.
    YouTube

Where is the injury here? The right knee?

Right knee. On #3, at exactly the last place I touch with my thumb.
    No swelling today. Fair amount of leg discomfort, but I think that is more related to the plantar fasciitis. ( Last week: Super painful from heel to ball of foot, minor swelling at ankle, painful calf, severe pain behind knee, temporary 90% loss of dorsiflexion. Yesterday only first two symptoms).

I don’t think your form caused the pain, but I will say that it looks like you could use more leg press at the start of your deadlift, i.e. less pulling more pushing.

Have you listed to Barbell Meficine’s podcast on aches, pains, and injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    I don’t think your form caused the pain, but I will say that it looks like you could use more leg press at the start of your deadlift, i.e. less pulling more pushing.
    You're right about that. I see myself moving slightly forward as the bar leaves the floor. Might that lead to the PF by shifting COM forward and straining the fascia? Reviewing the video, I see that I let the bar come about an inch away from my shin towards the bottom, again shifting COM forward. Will fix and post the correction.
    Have you listed to Barbell Medicine’s podcast on aches, pains, and injuries?
    Several, is there one in particular?

This was a separate comment that got misplaced:

You're right about that. I see myself moving slightly forward as the bar leaves the floor. Might that lead to the PF by shifting COM forward and straining the fascia? Reviewing the video, I see that I let the bar come about an inch away from my shin towards the bottom, again shifting COM forward. Will fix and post the correction.

In the interest of science I repeated yesterday's deadlift. I focused on pushing with my legs initially, and making sure the bar never left my shins on the way down, making sure to bend my knees the same way I did on the way up. See video YouTube

First thing I noticed was there was no need to reset before the next lift, I was already there. I could see in the video I was in position because the doorknob behind me provided a reference point. Second thing was the absence of pain.

Learned something important, thanks!

height and weight ?
    legs look like they could use a samwich or two

your breathing up top,
    don't do that,
    don't relax the valsalva till the bar's back down.
    though I don't see that messing with the knee unless it relaxing down there also.
    put the bar down a little faster,

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    In the interest of science I repeated yesterday's deadlift. I focused on pushing with my legs initially, and making sure the bar never left my shins on the way down, making sure to bend my knees the same way I did on the way up. See video YouTube

First thing I noticed was there was no need to reset before the next lift, I was already there. I could see in the video I was in position because the doorknob behind me provided a reference point. Second thing was the absence of pain.

Learned something important, thanks!
    Looks a lot better! To answer your question about the bar drifting in front of you, I can only say, maybe. It’s true that getting the bar out in front and away from you is the most dangerous position to be in, however. Doesn’t really matter though, you deadlifted pain-free! Congrats!

Like someone else said, keep that breath in and braces until the bar is back on the floor. I will also add that you need to flex your lats harder. Try keeping tight armpits or bending the bar around your shins.

Again, great work! Add weight to the bar.