starting strength gym

Thread: My horrid form on Squat, please help

Default My horrid form on Squat, please help

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddfBfGx7kw

That's the video at 215 pounds.

Been on LP for about 4 weeks already gained over 20 pounds of bodyweight.

Bench is at 225x5 and overhead press at 140x5. Squat is REALLY lagging behind, as is Deadlift, but I had an extremely weak lower back to start with, it's getting stronger.

Thanks for all advice on how to fix my squat.

Gym trainers tell me "you're squatting too low". So figure I'll get AT LEAST better advice than that here

You are overextending your spine at the top. Stay more neutral and just get really tight when you take your breath. You want your torso to be immobile. Avoid the tendency to lift your chest half way up. Drive with your hips all the way to the top. I suspect your stance is a little too wide, but it is tough to say for sure. Get yourself some weightlifting shoes. You will be happy you did.

Updated video (lower weight to get form right), please check:

You're somewhat leading with the Chest... checkout 0:45 seconds into the 2nd vid you posted. (Senior Members, can you verify if I'm wrong on this?)

Also, I noticed that your head moves significantly. Probably, your eyes catches your reflection in the mirror; hence, you end up looking at yourself. You might want to do something about it since it'll affect your hip drive. (and probably why your chest appears to lead at times)

Knees are better -- not bobbing forwards in the hole as much.
    But they shouldn't move at all at the bottom, you need to stay even tighter.

I have this problem myself also, I'll let you know if I find an easy fix :-)