starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here are my squat work sets from today. I've been working out inconsistently over the last couple weeks (moving house), but I'm settled in at my new gym now so I should be able to start progressing again. I have my own ideas about what I need to work on, but I'll see what people say first. I'm 24, about 74kg and 6'2''.

I wanted to post a deadlift check as well but ran out of space on my phone (deadlift needs more work than squat I think). Here are my warm up sets anyway, in case anyone wants to have a look. I'll do a proper one next time.

http://youtu.be/ognkh70qSQo
    http://youtu.be/38cSLb9Z2e4
    Last edited by AndyL; 10-09-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Here is my bet. You do push knees out at about 1/4 of the depth, but then they start to cave in almost immediately, though more pronounced around the bottom. Keep knees out hard! This should also give you a little bit more depth that you need as well.

Okay, so keep my knees out hard. Yeah, I'm probably a little shallow, I'm being careful about keeping good lumbar extension since I've been getting some lower back pain recently (caused by deadlifts I think). Thanks osv2.

Anyone else have any comments?

You need to sit back more and go deeper. Your knees are going too far forward and they fall inward when you come up. This may require you to use less weight to perfect the form. You may also try widening your stance just a little to see if that helps you sit back more. Your 1st set was better than the 2nd or 3rd.

Okay thanks, I tried again today with 90kg, focussing on keeping my knees out, and with a slightly wider stance. I'll reset if I have to, but tbh it doesn't seem any easier with lighter weights. I'll get a video of my work sets and warm ups again next workout (Saturday).

Agree with all the comments above about your knees - shove them out, HARD, throughout the range of motion. Your thought decending and coming out of the hole should be, 'knees out". That being said, your squats look like what most tall skinny kid's squats look like. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off with dedication.

I'm sure you have heard this, but take it from a former tall skinny kid, body weight will help tremendously with all of this. If you weigh 100Kg, 90Kg feels different on your back than when you weighed 75Kg.

Thanks Mac. Okay here's some videos from today. I did one set at 90kg (which didn't record properly so I don't have a video) then backed off to 80kg to see if I could get my knees out any better at the lower weight.

Are these any better? Should I stay at this weight and just keep working on form? Or start increasing again? Or reset even lower?

edit: Here's a couple of my warmups if anyone wants to look:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8EWryHAkg
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1cgPhEql50
    Last edited by AndyL; 10-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Depth: check
    Knees tracking and solid: check

Next challenge is to build your confidence in your program. Confidence you found the bottom and bounced off the hammies will come with more practice and the fact that you'll start growing like a weed. Confidence in thoughts as in "well, I've added 60 lbs to my squat in the last month and I don't have any pain so I'm pretty confident I'm doing something right"

Add weight on the normal progression and keep up the good work. Congrats!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Sal! Many thanks to everyone who gave advice, it's much appreciated.