starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 175kg 1x5 form check

Default Deadlift 175kg 1x5 form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone,
    Male, 6'2'' (189cm), around 220lb (100kg)

This is my deadlift from yesterday, 385lb (175kg). I'd appreciate any input you may have.

385lb (175kg) 1x5

You'll probably notice that those are not normal sized plates, but are much smaller in diameter. I added some boards and a rubber mat under the weight. So, the distance between the bar and the floor is around 19.5cm (7,7 inches). I read the bar should be 9 inches off the ground. Is that 9 inches measured from the center of the olympic barbell, the bottom side of the barbell, the top... I would be most interested in the correct distance between the ground and the lowest point of the bar, closest to the floor, since I'm using a crappy, straight bar. I hope I made this clear enough. Something tells me I didn't.

I found this highly technical drawing on the internet. It shows the distance between the ground and bottom part of the bar to be 211mm (8,3 inches). Is this correct?

Last edited by 8odin8; 10-29-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Your technique looked solid. I don't know the measurements off hand but the lifts themselves looked pretty good.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You see how right before the lift you drop your hips and heave up? This causes your back to lose some of its extension.

Instead of initiating the lift with a heave, keep your hips higher (where they ultimately end up anyways) and focus on pulling the chest up, so that all of the "slack" comes out of your body. It should make extension easier to maintain.

Uh, 211 + 28/2 = 225. 450/2 = 225. looks right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    You see how right before the lift you drop your hips and heave up? This causes your back to lose some of its extension.

Instead of initiating the lift with a heave, keep your hips higher (where they ultimately end up anyways) and focus on pulling the chest up, so that all of the "slack" comes out of your body. It should make extension easier to maintain.
    Will do this next time, thanks everyone. Nate, thanks for doing the math, at which I suck at. And too lazy to even try.