starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift check

Red face deadlift check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

First deadlift form check, any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

https://youtu.be/C8qrNAZwNwc

Chest up harder. A video of the complete setup would also be useful.

I see some lower back rounding and dropping of the hips. I'd take an extra moment prior to the pull to really squeeze all the slack out of the system & get truly squoze. I think this is what blugold is referring to. It actually looks like you're trying to start the movement with your lower back, then letting the legs take over. To prevent this from happening, you may want to add step 4.5* from the deadlift section of BBT3 and "... before you start the pull, get your weight back off of your toes. Don't exaggerate this by trying to get back on your heels; just rock back a little and get the weight off your toes and back onto your mid-foot..."

Whenever I find myself reverting to pulling with the lower back rather than pushing the floor away with my legs, I remind myself of this step and that seems to set me straight.

*I only have the app on me now, so this may or not be in the text. Nonetheless, it's part of the SS canon now.
    Last edited by Nermin; 12-30-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: post-script

Repeating what blugold suggested... Many of the faults in deadlifting issues can be addressed by correcting the set up. Therefore, it would be helpful to also include that in your next video.

It appeared that your hips actually raised throughout your entire set. They should not move at all after getting set up to pull the bar.

And just a set up reminder...
    Feet underneath hips, toes turned out slightly (less than the squat), bar exactly one inch away from the shins, grab the bar with straight arms and straight legs, bring shins to bar without moving bar, squeeze/squoze chest up without dropping the hips, drag the bar up the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lane View Post
    , grab the bar with straight arms and straight legs,
    As I watch more and more form checks, it seems that this is the most often skipped step and leads to many of the problems we see in these checks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    As I watch more and more form checks, it seems that this is the most often skipped step and leads to many of the problems we see in these checks.
    Yup. The deadlift is truly the easiest of all the lifts to teach and learn yet so many manage to misinterpret our simple instructions.

Thank you, blugold, for being one of the few non-SSC members that seems to have actually read the book before posting.