starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Gorilla!

Default Show Me Your Gorilla!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I restarted my LP after far too many starts and stops for various reasons (a lot of bad form issues, minor surgery, moving/buying a house, etc.) and figured the log would add a level of accountability.

Here are the basics:
    Male
    Height: 6' 1"
    Weight (as of 3/1/16): 216.8

Established new baseline lifts this past weekend working with the esteemed Adam Skillin (and stole my log title from the deadlift cue he gave me to help with back angle).

The plan going forward is to do the program at 2/3 speed with some additional pressing/benching. Basically, getting to the gym four times per week for 45-60 minutes at a clip is much more do-able at this stage of life than three times per week for 90 minutes+.
    My sessions will look like this:

Monday:
    Squat 5 x 3
    Bench 5 x 3

Tuesday:
    OHP 5 x 5 (@ ~80% of the last 5 rep max)
    Deadlift 5 x 1

Thursday:
    Squat 5 x 3
    OHP 5 x 3

Friday:
    Bench 5 x 5 (@ ~80% of the last 5 rep max)
    Deadlift 5 x 1

(Benching and OHP order may alternate week to week, and eventually Friday's deadlift will be replaced with Power Cleans and some chin-ups)
    So before anyone needs to point it out, yes, I know I'm not strictly "doing the program."

Starting Lifts:
    Squat: 175 lbs.
    Deadlift: 225 lbs.
    Press: 95 lbs.
    Bench: 135 lbs.
    PC: Work-in-Progress
    Last edited by JMF_2112; 03-01-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Ellaboration and clarity.

2/29/16
    ----------
    BW: Did not measure.

Squat: 180 lbs. x 5 x 3 (worked on trying to stay tight on the descend, felt like I did a decent job. Felt good working through the movement, bar didn't feel too heavy until the last two reps of set 3).
    Bench: Established baseline at 135 lbs.
    Last edited by JMF_2112; 03-01-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I'm bad at nomenclature.

Welcome, and smart decision to work with a SS coach. Looking forward to seeing some awesome gains in this log!

Best of luck man... Get those gains

Following!

welcome! good call to go see Adam in The Loft!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    welcome! good call to go see Adam in The Loft!
    Actually, this was visit number three to the loft, but the first time where I performed something that looked like a squat.

03/01/2016
    ---------------
    5 minutes C2 Rowing Machine
    OHP 80 x 5 x 5 (Still in the midst of converting from Press 1.0 to Press 2.0 and hip drive is not where it needs to be all the time. Not discouraged because when I get it right, the bar flies up)
    DL 235 x 5 x 1 (double overhand with chalk. Weight felt good going up. Devoted majority of mental energy to keeping the bar over midfoot after locking out. Felt improvement over prior DLs, but definite room for improvement).

Totally amused by college aged gym bro at globogym who 1) always wears a replica NFL or NBA jersey to lift (one of those $100+ jobs); and 2) was wearing a nylon weight belt while using the seated rowing machine due to basketball induced lower back injury.

03/03/2016
    ---------------
    Lifted in my brother's garage gym. It was quite nice having instant feedback/encouragement. But, it was at the expense of no good gym-bro stories.
    BW: DNM (forgot to jump on the scale before breakfast, afterwards measurement was skewed)

Squat: 185 x 5 x3 (Felt heavier than it should have by the end of set no. 3, but they went. Taking approximately 5-6 minutes between sets. Started doing two sets of empty bar OHP before squatting to hopefully loosen up my shoulders. I'm finally able to consistently get the bar to the correct position on my back, but with fairly wide hand position.)

OHP: 100 x 4 x 1; 100 x 5 x 2 (Did not take enough time between final warmup press and the first work set and had serious form breakdown after rep 4. Took 4 - 5 minutes between remaining sets and they went. Locking out rep no. 5 on set 3 was a challenge, but that's not a bad thing.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JMF_2112 View Post
    Established new baseline lifts this past weekend working with the esteemed Adam Skillin (and stole my log title from the deadlift cue he gave me to help with back angle).
    Congratulations on starting back. Just started with a Starting Strength coach this week. Hope you have great gains in the coming months.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast