starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's novice log

Default Jay's novice log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone! My name is Jay, I figured since I spend so much time reading on these forums, I might as well start a log. Some basic info about me:

Age-38
    Height-6 ft
    Weight-225 (classic dad bod)

My athletic background includes high school sports, the military and all the fitness that brings with it (note the sarcasm), running including marathons and half marathons, long distance cycling and mountain biking, and for a time surfing the couch as much as possible where I obtained my wonderful physique!

I've been lifting for about a year, first with a bro program, then Stronglifts, then took a rather long break to move across the country, and finally found Starting Strength. A few weeks ago I did a session with Dr. Austin Baraki to sort out some form issues which has helped immensely with keeping the weight moving up. I just recovered from an illness that lasted two weeks, so I lost a little, but here is where my current lifts ended as of this week:

Squat- 290x3x5
    Deadlift- 325x3x5
    Press- 137x3x5
    Bench- 205x3x5
    PC- 145x3x5- Just started doing these a few weeks ago and am rather enjoying them.

Moving forward I plan to keep making progress each workout until I have to add in a light day. Nutrition wise I am following recommendations layed out in Jordan Feigenbaum's TBAB article. I find one of the best parts of this program is all the glorious food you get to eat!

My goals are to get as strong as possible over the next few months and compete in a powerlifting competition before the end of the year.

Today's session was one of those days that should have sucked big ass, but instead turned out to be pretty damn awesome! Running on about 4 hour of sleep due to a loud ass thunderstorm that woke the kids up and kicked the power off last night. Ended up with a wiggly three year old kicking me half the night!

Squat-295x3x5
    Press- 139x3x5
    Deadlift- 330x1x5 - this ties the most weight I've ever done for reps, went up pretty easy. Guess small changes and cues make a big difference sometimes!

Going to go obliterate some teriyaki chicken and potatoes!

Today's lifting was awesome, apparently sleep and calories are magical!
    Weight-226.7

Squat 300x3x5- these went up way easier than they should have, glad to be back in the 300's
    Bench 210x3x5- Not too bad, reps started to slow down on the last set, but overall happy, edging toward two plates!
    Power Clean 145x3x5- Still having fun with these! Only had one get out in front of me, luckily in a home garage no one was around to see me look like an idiot.

Welcome. Good lifts.

Thanks Carson, I'm just hoping I can keep it going!

3/28

Weight-230-this was from the Easter beer, candy, and briscuit the neighbor cooked.

Squat 305x3x5-hard but manageable, three plates next week!
    Press 141x3x5- Last couple of reps were a grind. Think the 1.5 press is the way to go for me. Whenever I do the 2.0 for reps I take so long thinking about doing it right between reps that I get tired.
    Deadlift-340x1x5-These weren't to bad tonight. I had one get out in front of me a bit, but overall I am pleased with form.

Been sleeping and eating like a bear lately. Apparently if you quit your job and become a stay at home dad, the gains will come quickly! Who knew?
    Last edited by JWilmot; 03-28-2016 at 08:45 PM.

3/31

Body weight-228

Squat 310x3x5-Three plate squat on Sat!

Bench 215x3x5-The last set was a real grind, going to try for the 5 pound jump next bench day and see what happens.

Power Clean 150x3x5- I ended up missing a couple of reps due to an early jump or lack of jump. All missed reps were made up during the set they were missed. When my form is on with these, they fly up and feel easy.

Going to go back to pushing the sled one day a week on Fridays (tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by JWilmot View Post
    Hi everyone! My name is Jay, I figured since I spend so much time reading on these forums, I might as well start a log. Some basic info about me:

Age-38
    Height-6 ft
    Weight-225 (classic dad bod)

My athletic background includes high school sports, the military and all the fitness that brings with it (note the sarcasm), running including marathons and half marathons, long distance cycling and mountain biking, and for a time surfing the couch as much as possible where I obtained my wonderful physique!

I've been lifting for about a year, first with a bro program, then Stronglifts, then took a rather long break to move across the country, and finally found Starting Strength. A few weeks ago I did a session with Dr. Austin Baraki to sort out some form issues which has helped immensely with keeping the weight moving up. ...
    Welcome to San Antonio! (and I think you chose an excellent SSC)

Looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks YoungOpa, I checked out your log as well and will follow. Hope you get a resolution to the shoulder soon!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilmot View Post
    Been sleeping and eating like a bear lately. Apparently if you quit your job and become a stay at home dad, the gains will come quickly! Who knew?
    Nice! I squandered my 6 months on pushing the pram, video games and yoga. The gainz I could have had. *weeps*. Good luck with the 3 plates man.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast