starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement Shoe Recommendations

Default Replacement Shoe Recommendations

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My old Rogue Do Wins finally look like they've reached the end. I suffered the same sort of problems that many have with them - they fit well and work properly, but that they are not very well made and fall apart. Despite the poor quality I managed to make them last about 5 years and so I'd buy another pair, but it seems they are discontinued so I have to make a switch.

The Adidas Powerlift 2.0 are on sale at Rogue for $90 - Adidas Powerlift 2.0 - Weightlifting Shoes - Rogue

My reservation is that, in addition to the slightly lower heel, I think I recall these being developed for Crossfit rather than as a genuine weightlifting shoe and so can be compressed with heavy enough loads. Is that right?

In terms of my training and what I use them for my squat is around 500lbs when my hips are healthy and so the majority of my training loads are in the mid to high 300s and lower 400s. I dont deadlift in them. I do also use the shoes to bench (for the extra heel height) and for what little olympic lifting I do it's neither heavy enough nor taken seriously enough by me to be of concern. So I guess It's mostly about the squat.

Are these cheaper ones going to be pointless and should I just splurge the extra on the Adipowers or Romaleos?

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    My old Rogue Do Wins finally look like they've reached the end. I suffered the same sort of problems that many have with them - they fit well and work properly, but that they are not very well made and fall apart. Despite the poor quality I managed to make them last about 5 years and so I'd buy another pair, but it seems they are discontinued so I have to make a switch.

The Adidas Powerlift 2.0 are on sale at Rogue for $90 - Adidas Powerlift 2.0 - Weightlifting Shoes - Rogue

My reservation is that, in addition to the slightly lower heel, I think I recall these being developed for Crossfit rather than as a genuine weightlifting shoe and so can be compressed with heavy enough loads. Is that right?

In terms of my training and what I use them for my squat is around 500lbs when my hips are healthy and so the majority of my training loads are in the mid to high 300s and lower 400s. I dont deadlift in them. I do also use the shoes to bench (for the extra heel height) and for what little olympic lifting I do it's neither heavy enough nor taken seriously enough by me to be of concern. So I guess It's mostly about the squat.

Are these cheaper ones going to be pointless and should I just splurge the extra on the Adipowers or Romaleos?
    Splurge and get the good ones. If they last you 5 years, and you lift 3x/week, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 lifting sessions. It's gotta come out to like ten pence per lifting session to have much, much better shoes. Get the better shoes.

Ordinarily that is my take on it - if it matters to you buy something good first time, because buying cheap is often a false economy. However, I would rather not spend twice the money on shoes primarily used for squatting if I didnt have to as I am unable to squat consistently because of hip problems and so maybe only spend about 5-6 months of any year seriously working at it.

Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0 | Rogue Fitness

These are cheaper and are still very good shoes. Don't let the CrossFit label mislead you.

Eastbay.com has Adipowers on sale right now, plus free shipping, plus they often have coupon codes (looks like right now they have $10 off $50+). I just added all that to a cart and it looks like you could get a new pair for $143.99 ... only $50 more than the Powerlifts for a higher, rock-solid heel and the shoes will probably last you forever. I've already had mine for several years and they're broken in but still good as new.

My favorite shoes are the Power Perfect 2.0's. I would get them from dynamic-eleiko.com for ~120 IIRC.

Great info. Thanks, peeps.

Power perfects 2.0 ordered from Dynamic-Eleiko for $132 including shipping. They look sharp, much better looking than the Do Wins, and are scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Power perfects 2.0 ordered from Dynamic-Eleiko for $132 including shipping. They look sharp, much better looking than the Do Wins, and are scheduled to arrive on Thursday.
    You won't be disappointed.

Blacksmith Guest

starting strength coach development program
    I was thinking about new shoes. What's better about the Power perfect 2.0's compared to regular do-wins?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast