starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat/Incline Benches - Cody? Other equipment-gurus?

Default Flat/Incline Benches - Cody? Other equipment-gurus?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It's about time to replace my flat bench. I don't have room for 2 benches, and I'm considering a flat/incline deal, in case I want to ever do incline press. Right now my leading candidate is the York ST 0-90:

Amazon.com: York ST 0 - 90 Degree Flat to Incline Bench: Health & Personal Care

I like that the bench rests on the frame itself in the flat position, and I have read that the ST line is pretty commercial-grade stuff.

That one's already a bit of a budget stretch for me at just <$400, but wanted to see if I'm missing any obvious better candidates, or if anyone has any insider knowledge that it's a bad choice.

I just got the Rogue Utility Bench delivered today. It seems really stout and built like a tank. I have a Body Solid adjustable incline bench, but it is too narrow (9.5" pad width). If you really want the incline ability on the bench you'll probably have to go into the higher price range. The rogue bench was under 200 including shipping (about 190, I think).

About 3 or 4 years ago, I really tried to research for an adjustable bench with a high weight capacity. The body solid one seemed like the best buy for your buck (it is $305 new), but I would not get it again if I had the choice. How wide is the pad on the York you linked?

I can get back to you on my thoughts on the Rogue Utility bench in a few days. I'll probably be benching on Friday or Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    I just got the Rogue Utility Bench delivered today. It seems really stout and built like a tank. I have a Body Solid adjustable incline bench, but it is too narrow (9.5" pad width). If you really want the incline ability on the bench you'll probably have to go into the higher price range. The rogue bench was under 200 including shipping (about 190, I think).

About 3 or 4 years ago, I really tried to research for an adjustable bench with a high weight capacity. The body solid one seemed like the best buy for your buck (it is $305 new), but I would not get it again if I had the choice. How wide is the pad on the York you linked?

I can get back to you on my thoughts on the Rogue Utility bench in a few days. I'll probably be benching on Friday or Saturday.
    Product is 22 1/4" wide, but I assume that's the feet, not the bench itself. The bolt-together Rogue will likely be my choice if I just get another flat bench. But I don't want to spend $545 on the Rogue adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Product is 22 1/4" wide, but I assume that's the feet, not the bench itself. The bolt-together Rogue will likely be my choice if I just get another flat bench. But I don't want to spend $545 on the Rogue adjustable.
    I checked Rogue, EliteFTS, Iron Company, and Christian's Fitness Factory last night. Stout adjustable benches are really pricey...the York you found on Amazon was cheaper on Elite, but I bet the shipping to NJ would make the price comparable. (It was 327, I think).

That's a really tough price point. Most every adjustable bench in that range is a compromise, and feels less than ideal to bench heavy shit on.

Your best option is to get a used commercial bench, like a true commercial not "light commercial," and have it reupholstered if it needs it. $300 is a general price point for a used commercial adjustable bench (cybex, matrix, etc). Big problem is most adjustable benches are a bit tall.

If you -must- buy new in that price range, the only bench I would recommend right now would be the Rep Fitness bench. It doesn't rest on the frame in the flat position, but it's solid. It's a copy of an old commercial Hoist design. The pendlay bench used to be $300 on sale and $350 regular, but they got greedy.

Really though, just find a used commercial bench or save up a few extra bucks for the Rogue. Their bench is an old Nebula design, and really, really nice, definitely worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    That's a really tough price point. Most every adjustable bench in that range is a compromise, and feels less than ideal to bench heavy shit on.

Your best option is to get a used commercial bench, like a true commercial not "light commercial," and have it reupholstered if it needs it. $300 is a general price point for a used commercial adjustable bench (cybex, matrix, etc). Big problem is most adjustable benches are a bit tall.

If you -must- buy new in that price range, the only bench I would recommend right now would be the Rep Fitness bench. It doesn't rest on the frame in the flat position, but it's solid. It's a copy of an old commercial Hoist design. The pendlay bench used to be $300 on sale and $350 regular, but they got greedy.

Really though, just find a used commercial bench or save up a few extra bucks for the Rogue. Their bench is an old Nebula design, and really, really nice, definitely worth the extra money.
    And that's why I asked. Thanks, Cody. I'll either get the Rep Fitness Bench or see if I can swing the Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Edge fitness systems has a sweet bench, but its 595...
    Trans-Basic-Package
    That's fancy. I really don't need fancy. I need a sturdy flat bench, but I also like the idea of the option to have the option to do some incline stuff. I should probably just buy the Rogue bolt-together flat bench, but the Rep Fitness bench Cody recommended is looking like a realistic option.

I'm not a huge fan of the Iron Master style benches. Edge Fitness makes some high quality equipment, though.

If you just need a flat bench
    CFF Flat Utility Bench - CFFFIT

I have this. 700lb cap. Pad feels nice. I've only had 225-245 on for light days at home. Yeah, $120. I think it shipped for a total of 150-160. Which is dirt fucking cheap.
    length: 43.5"
    width: 11"
    height: 18"
    pad thickness: 2"
    That might be a viable option if I just get a flat bench. How's the material (vinyl? nylon?) on your back? Slippery at all?

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't felt any slipping. I like it better than the bench at 24hr fitness.
    Great. I'll add it to the "definite possibilities" list. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast