starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: diarrhea from all post work out shakes

Default diarrhea from all post work out shakes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I keep getting diarrhea anywhere between an hour to three hours after downing my post workout shake, which I drink right after the workout. Usually it's just an upset stomach and then one watery bowel movement, and then my stomach is fine and my bm goes back normal. I don't get diarrhea otherwise.

I have tried the following with the same results :

2 scoops Muscle milk with 2 cups water
    2 scoops Optimum nutrition whey natural (no artificial sugar) with 2 cups water plus 2/3 cup carbo gain
    2 scoops MRM all natural gainer with 2 cups water
    2 cups milk blended with 2 tbsp peanut butter and half cup raw oats

I drink milk on its own fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not lactose intolerance. I never get diarrhea from any dairy.

I can't figure out the common denominator. Any thoughts? I'm going to just have a bit of milk and a big meal instead of the shakes going forward but still curious what the issue was. Thanks!
    Last edited by pat9966; 02-24-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Are you drinking anything weird before or during your workouts?

I cannot stay out of a diarrhea thread.

If you are sure that it isn't lactose intolerance, the next thing I would look for is artificial sweeteners in your whey powder and pre-made shakes. Some artificial sweeteners cause diarrhea. (I learned that from an episode of House MD.) Do you chew a lot of sugar-free gum?

I use unflavored whey isolate for this reason. Downside -- you have to mix it with some real food, it tastes too bad by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I use unflavored whey isolate for this reason. Downside -- you have to mix it with some real food, it tastes too bad by itself.
    I don't understand this. I use unflavored whey isolate or concentrate (whatever's the cheapest, it varies) and have absolutely no problem with the taste. It's sort of like YooHoo without the corn syrup or weak chocolate flavor.

Unflavored isolate is bland, but the flavor it has I don't like. I mix it with some milk and yogurt, add fruit and nuts and breakfast cereal and eat it with a spoon.

How about eating a steak, 3-5 eggs, and some toast with peanut butter after a workout?

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    How about eating a steak, 3-5 eggs, and some toast with peanut butter after a workout?
    That certainly sounds better than the other concoction.

Thanks for the responses. To answer the questions:

-I am not drinking anything weird or anything else before or during workouts; Only one of the shakes mentioned in the original post, right after the workout. Then about an hour or so later, I'll have a normal meal.
    -At first I thought it was the artificial sweeteners in the whey. That's why I switched away from regular Muscle Milk to Optimum Nutrition Whey Natural (no artificial ingredients except Stevia). I also tried MRM All Natural Gainer. As a final attempt, I tried just milk, honey, raw oats and peanut butter. All of these still led to diarrhea.
    -One weird wrinkle is that with all of these, the first few times I used them, I didn't get diarrhea. After the first few uses is when it started.

starting strength coach development program
    Why not just ditch the PWO shake altogether? Getting diarrhea means you are LOSING nutrition/energy/GAINZ!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast