starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Corn Bran!

Default Holy Corn Bran!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I thought fiber was BS. But you said to get 20g a day and I don't argue with people stronger than me, SS coaches, doctors (not all doctors) and people whose first names start with a J. And recently I have been having problems shitting.

So I looked for food high in fiber and surprisingly vegetables even suck at providing that. Then I found fucking corn bran:http://www.nutritionvalue.org/Corn_b...nal_value.html

Jordan; I know you recommend 20g but is it better to eat 60g or will I die? What is the max amount of fiber a person should eat? I think the USDA says 38g. And what do you think of corn brand?

Thank you.

PS
    Seriously, if I eat corn bran everyday will I shit my kidneys out? What will happen?

Did I tell you to get 20g a day? Was it 30? Hmmm....

It's okay to argue with people in positions of authority as long as people are respectful. That's how intelligent discussion comes about. Most of the time it comes off as being a dickface if the post is inflammatory or aggressive vs. "I think I disagree because this, what do you think?" Then again, most people these days take "I disagree" as "I think you're a moron", so you might just be onto something....

Anyway, no 60g isn't "better" than 20g...I think both are a little off. 35-55g is usually my range give or take and while I don't mind supplementing a little bit here and there, I think that misses the point of eating a "high fiber" diet. Vegetables are fine sources. 50g of carbs from greens is approx 25g of fiber....seems okay to me.

Anyway, corn bran kind of sucks at doing what fiber is good at doing, e.g. improving sugar metabolism, decreasing LDL, etc. Plus it's not really well tolerated either...

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Jordan,

Any views on dried (young) coconut? I've been eating a bunch of it lately because it tastes good. Nutrition info says it's 14g fiber per 1.5 oz, which is easy to put away. Between that and my fruit/vegetable smoothie in the morning, I'm basically at my fiber bogey before 10am.

FWIW, I shit several times a day, so blockage doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe that's TMI.

I find that bran from grains has a paradoxical effect as far as hoping for a smooth move goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Anyway, corn bran kind of sucks at doing what fiber is good at doing, e.g. improving sugar metabolism, decreasing LDL, etc. Plus it's not really well tolerated either...
    Tangentially related... how is psyllium at doing what fiber is good at doing? I'm guilty of getting most of my fiber via scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's okay to argue with people in positions of authority as long as people are respectful. That's how intelligent discussion comes about.
    IDK... I see it as new people to a subject should just shut up and absorb information as fact. When your capable of understanding the responses to your disagreements at that point you can start challenging information. I even think "why?" might be too much information to handle at first.

Oh. Did I come off rude? I personally see fiber as a justification to eat vegetables. Sorry. You know more than me so I listen to you. Just like a kid being trained might think he knows more than his coach. When I tried to play football my coach was an utter retard. Half-squats followed by cardio everyday and everyone's strength went down so much... But I listened to him. I am not calling you an idiot.

No please... I really respect you. Seriously. Whenever I read a book and don't understand something or think its dumb I still try really hard to see the reason.

I am 17 and don't bench 405 or w/e your crazy numbers are. I used to think eating lots of sugar was stupid but you do it and are strong and healthy.

I always come off as a prick...

But anyway, in a pound of broccoli there is like 12g of fiber. I am quite sure of that. What do you say to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Jordan,

Any views on dried (young) coconut? I've been eating a bunch of it lately because it tastes good. Nutrition info says it's 14g fiber per 1.5 oz, which is easy to put away. Between that and my fruit/vegetable smoothie in the morning, I'm basically at my fiber bogey before 10am.

FWIW, I shit several times a day, so blockage doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe that's TMI.
    Seems fine to me, though I like fiber (in general) metered out over most meals except for decreased in peri workout meals. Just a preference with no science to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by niclane View Post
    Tangentially related... how is psyllium at doing what fiber is good at doing? I'm guilty of getting most of my fiber via scoop.
    Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-DUKE View Post
    IDK... I see it as new people to a subject should just shut up and absorb information as fact. When your capable of understanding the responses to your disagreements at that point you can start challenging information. I even think "why?" might be too much information to handle at first.
    Yea you definitely can run the risk of unnecessary annoyance when there is asymmetrical information. On the other hand, an expert in the field should be able to distill down the pertinent facts fairly rapidly if he/she truly understands them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    Oh. Did I come off rude?
    Not at all. Just clarifying that I have no problems with people challenging authority if open to intelligent debate. On the other hand- many people are not capable of acting like rational adults, as we've continuously witnessed on this forum. We have all been guilty of this, but not you in this particular instance.

I personally see fiber as a justification to eat vegetables. Sorry. You know more than me so I listen to you. Just like a kid being trained might think he knows more than his coach. When I tried to play football my coach was an utter retard. Half-squats followed by cardio everyday and everyone's strength went down so much... But I listened to him. I am not calling you an idiot.
    Fiber is thermogenic, satiating, and controls (somewhat) for food quality. Diets with identical macros but different fiber contents are not equivalent. Just one less variable to think about AND it's tied to numerous health benefits.

I am 17 and don't bench 405 or w/e your crazy numbers are. I used to think eating lots of sugar was stupid but you do it and are strong and healthy.
    Well what if I told you that you had to eat Paleo to be healthy and bench 405? What would be the intelligent response to that?

But anyway, in a pound of broccoli there is like 12g of fiber. I am quite sure of that. What do you say to that?
    It's actually 1.12 lbs (85g per serving, 2g of fiber per serving x 6 servings). That's still only 24g of carbs.

Am I supposed to eat pounds of veggies a day? Cause I can't. What do I do? What is a substitute?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    Am I supposed to eat pounds of veggies a day? Cause I can't. What do I do? What is a substitute?
    Why can't you?

Beans, whole grain bread, potatoes, oats, fruit, etc. are all choices for fiber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast