Thread: Fractional Plates

Default Fractional Plates

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm looking into getting a set. Rogue has these 2 sets:
    http://www.roguefitness.com/iron-woo...nal-plates.php
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fr...plates-lbs.php

One costs a little more than the other. Would there be a noticeable difference? Apparently the Rogue ones are made the same way they make armor plating, as if my fractional plates will be absorbing some kind of massive load.

I'm just trying to decide if the Rogue ones are worth the extra 15 bucks.

If you only need the 1.25 pounders, they can be had much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Grey-Machined-...dp/B004QJ2ZOK/

I might as well get the whole set. My wife is lifting too, she'll likely need the tiny ones for the Press. Hell I might even need them for the press eventually. It's not even that I mind paying the 50 or 65, I'm just curious if the one set is worth the 15 bucks more.

Gotcha. I suggested it because the $50 was a turn off to me since I was only in it for the 1.25s. A friend has the Iron Woodys, the quality seems fine and I can't imagine what benefit the Rogue ones would have over them. Other than being "cool" or whatever.

FWIW, i went to home depot with my digital food scale and had enough length for 1.25 and 2.5 lb chains cut so i can also put them around dumbbells...dirt cheap. The ones in that amazon link would be great for a barbell but if you eventually move onto exercises where the next dumbbell is too heavy, chains are good bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by blandrick View Post
    One costs a little more than the other. Would there be a noticeable difference?

I'm just trying to decide if the Rogue ones are worth the extra 15 bucks.
    No and no.

I have the Iron Woody ones. Frankly, I'm surprised Rogue has the nerve to charge $15 more...

If you have a Fastenal (or similar) store near you, just get washers with a 2" center hole. Each weighs about .6lbs and cost just a couple bucks for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    No and no.

I have the Iron Woody ones. Frankly, I'm surprised Rogue has the nerve to charge $15 more...
    Cool. Thanks.

I understand there are DIY options. I just don't want to go that route. I want to be able to grab my plates, know how much weight is there, and do my workout. I like to keep things simple.

Quote Originally Posted by blandrick View Post
    Cool. Thanks.

I understand there are DIY options. I just don't want to go that route. I want to be able to grab my plates, know how much weight is there, and do my workout. I like to keep things simple.
    About 2 years ago I bought set of fractional plates, even though I figured it was going to be a gigantic waste of money. I'll tell you though, I have gotten more than my money worth for them. I use them all the time.

starting strength coach development program
    Contact the forum member, 'Dan Miller' about making you a set of steel (imperial weight) fractional plates. IIRC, he charges about $25 shipped, maybe more if you are APO/FPO.

Here's the link to the thread for pics and contact info.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...528#post462528
    Last edited by RTN; 08-06-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast