starting strength gym

Thread: My skin hates squatting.

Default My skin hates squatting.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For a few years now, whenever I squat 365+ I get some seriously unattractive capillary explosion/stains all over my face and neck. They stay there for a few days and look pretty terrible. It's affecting my training in that I struggle to add weight to the bar because I know I'll look like a drunk for a week if I do. As such, my low and high bar, wide and narrow squats are all about the same caliber.

How would you address this issue with a client who was having a similar problem, assuming their primary goal was strength but not in exchange for a leper-face? I guess I could get really really good with 315 but that would get old fast.

Some additional thoughts/info:
    I know more than a few people who get this but not nearly to the degree that I do, and generally at much higher poundages. It doesn't seem to change as I get stronger and doesn't seem related to effort, but rather compression (a set of 20 at 315 would be fine but 365x3+ or 405+ for anything makes me splotchy). I haven't found a way to train around it since any worthwhile volume done in a decent amount of time will do it, no matter the rep scheme. Deadlifts don't do it, just squats. Also, my resting bp is fine.

We had another question about this recently. The short answer is that it happens to all of us to varying degrees. Are you particularly thin skinned? Naturally red cheeks? From my experience, it happens when the bar gets forward of my mid foot on the way up, and I have to do whatever it takes to save the lift. I can feel the pressure go from my abs up to my face. The result is inevitably a bunch of red dots all around my eyes. Maybe some of our other coaches have some insight. I'd say just try to focus on squeezing against your belt.

It might be that you are doing the Valsalva wrong. The Valsalva has to be held in the glottis, not in the mouth. If you happen to hold it in the mouth, this phenomenon you described might occur. It has happened to me but only in competition.

I've had this happen several times, and I don't see any rhyme or reason behind it. I don't like it, but I dislike wasting time squatting light even more, so I just accept it and move on. If it's a constant thing for you, hope you can get it figured out, as I can see how that would get annoying very quickly.

This morning a coworker assumed it was insanely windy outside on account of my red face from squatting yesterday. Good stuff.

Carlos, I didn't even know it was possible to hold the valslava in your mouth and I'm sure that's not it - at least I should say I don't puffer-fish during squats and when I try to valsalva just sitting at my computer, the pressure originates in my glottis.

PEBCAK, yeah it's a constant thing. Everyone I know has experienced it but to lesser degrees and generally during limit lifts and competition.

Paul, I may be getting out in front of my midfoot. Good catch! Recently, I've been squatting with a high bar position and a wider stance, but with low-bar mechanics, as a work-around for the intense shoulder pain I get when low-bar squatting. I can see how this would preference me towards pitching forward, and watching some recent video I think that may be what's occuring. I used to pitch with a low-bar position as well, when the weights crept up to the 4s, so perhaps it's all the same cause. Thanks.

Be sure to let us know if you solve the problem. As I mentioned, we've had others on the board ask about this recently.

It happens as you approach a heavy load for you right?
    I doubt it will happen at 355 once you're squatting 500. Though I may be wrong, progressing on past may be the only solution to meet both goals.

I started busting capillaries a couple months ago when I started using a belt at around 285lbs. It's gotten pretty bad, but it's usually 90% gone by the next day. I got it really badly after squatting 325 today, probably the worst it's been. I would love some advice, as it's only been getting worse for me, and I want to keep adding weight every week.

Advice: Keep adding weight. Keep Squatting. Embrace the red dots; they are your warpaint.

starting strength coach development program
    Does this have any correlation to how easily someone bruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk