starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice marathon runner vs 350 squatter

Default Novice marathon runner vs 350 squatter

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Who will win a 60m sprint?

My mate who runs about twice a month and does a couple of marathons a year has challenged me to a 60m sprint. I never run but he never squats ...

Place your bets.

Depends on anthropometry and your weight. If someone trains solely for distance ( slow twitch). And you train solely for increasing force production and you have similar levers , you should win.

If you are 5'6" and he is 6'2" you could get smoked.

Ori should just ask..have you ever sprinted? There is technique to running.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 01-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.

I can't be bothered to convert these to pounds for you, but:

Me:
    6'
    104kg
    Body fat about 20%

Friend:
    5'8"
    65kg
    About 8+% body fat

Only to cross the road but never maxed out.
    Last edited by Tom Bryant; 01-11-2014 at 05:30 PM.

I will be honest. you are not strong enough for your mass to significantly add to your natural running ability. You should practice accelerating.
    **Warning long anecdote) I was a 350 squatter( high bar) in high school and I was ~175 pounds. I sprinted all the time and other than one freak 4.45 40 during summer track season. I usually ran a 4.6. Mediocre for my size ( if I weighed 210 and pulled this off who knows)and positions And not near enough to continue my athletic career in football or track. End anecdote **

Distance runners can run near as fast if they are not too weak because they also run regularly And won't pull a hammy.
    You need to condition a few accelerations in so you develop motor patterns for running and don't pull a hamstring the first time you go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post

Me:
    6'
    104kg
    Body fat about 20%

Friend:
    5'8"
    65kg
    About 8+% body fat

I reckon you are fucked. The runner will be fit as fuck and only has 65kg to accelerate, he probably does fartlek and sprint training as part of his shorter runs, also 20% BF v 8% does not bode well. But I would also suggest that if he only runs twice a month then his marathon time has to be shite. When I ran 1/2s a big week would total 140ks with only one not running.

Me:
    6'
    104kg
    Body fat about 20%

Friend:
    5'8"
    65kg
    About 8+% body fat

I reckon you are fucked. The runner will be fit as fuck and only has 65kg to accelerate, he probably does fartlek and sprint training as part of his shorter runs, also 20% BF v 8% does not bode well. But I would also suggest that if he only runs twice a month then his marathon time has to be shite. When I ran 1/2s a big week would total 140ks with only one not running.

Me:
    6'
    104kg
    Body fat about 20%

Friend:
    5'8"
    65kg
    About 8+% body fat

He's going to win, mate. We are about the same in terms of BW, and squatting ability. And a 65 KG would smoke me on a track.

If your buddy just does steady-state distance a 60m sprint will be completely out of his element. I was a distance runner in high school - 1600m, 3200m, 5k. Every winter after cross country I would run LSD on my own 3-4 days a week. In the spring our track coach would have everyone on the team run a 100m test at the beginning of the season. I would get beat by all the sprinters and jumpers, and a few of the throwers every year. I think I would run like a 17-18 second 100m. I just couldn't accelerate as well as any of those guys. By the end of the season I would have done better, because the distance runners ran tons of 200's and 400's in season. I know I ran a 59 second 400m as the last lap of the 1600m once - wasn't slow, just could accelerate quickly for a sprint.

Jsutt Guest

If you were power cleaning 350 it might be a different story - what do you PC?

starting strength coach development program
    I saw this race once. On one side, very large army powerlifter. He was assigned to the gym so nothing would interfere with his lifting. On the other side, lean hard looking basketball player. The Lifter had a good six inches on height and at least 150 in weight. The BB player had mocked the lifter, Saying "Sure, you're strong, but I could smoke you on the run" The lifter laughed and told him how wrong he was to assume that just because he was big, that he was slow. The race was the length of the basketball court. It wasn't even close, the lifter hit the far wall before the player made 3/4. It was quite impressive to see that big guy move.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast