starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another squat check

Default Yet another squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coaches

So here's my latest squat check. It was supposed to be a set of five but I don't know what happened to my brain. I probably need someone telling me how many reps I've done or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=FjOVmZsRIqI

I can tell my knees are still not setting early enough. I actually think I may have finally figured out how to do that, conveniently after I filmed this.

Aside from the knees, anthing else worth pointing out?

You're correct about the knees. Let's see if you figured out how to set them. You're probably going deeper than you need to. Raise the camera up next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    You're correct about the knees. Let's see if you figured out how to set them. You're probably going deeper than you need to. Raise the camera up next time.

I'll film again on Wednesday. The depth thing might be problematic. I've never really had to think about depth, because I've always just squatted until I hit the bounce at the bottom. Maybe with my potential knee fix, it will be more appropriate.

I tried squatting in a way that I intentionally focused on breaking at the knees, which feels weird as hell at the moment. It looked like they were setting earlier, according to the coach lady at my gym. But anyways, I'll post another video in this thread on wednesday.

Actually, do you have any masterful cues on how to make the damn things stop sooner? If it turns out my magical cure was not actually a cure at all, I'd like to try every possibility. This is a supremely annoying problem.

Shove the knees forward right away. Reach back the hips. Keep the knees forward when you drive up.

Masterful.

Shove the knees forward right away. Reach back the hips. Keep the knees forward when you drive up.

Masterful.
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a philosopher.

Anyways, thanks. I'll put it to use.

Lactose-intolerant-philosopher-warrior.

starting strength coach development program
    Welp, I shot another video, but it was crap. I'll try again on monday and see if I get somewhere with it.

The set looked a bit better at least to my eyes, but it felt like absolute hell. I ate really, really poorly today, so I was dying in the gym. Hopefully mondays video will be of actual use.