starting strength gym

Thread: Another Squat Asymmetry Thread

Default Another Squat Asymmetry Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I will try to keep this brief and to the point. I recently moved to Texas Method, got the stomach flu for a week, lost several pounds and am now working my way back up in weight (both bodyweight and on the bar). While doing this I discovered a major form issue with my squat in which my hips drift to the right on the descent of my squat and stay off center for the remainder of the lift. I believe this to be caused by uneven hips at the start of the lift where my hips are twisted just enough that my right hip is farther forward than my left. I also notice this on my set up in Deadlift and Power Clean as my the bar digs into my right shin, but just grazes my left shin. My feet are even (one foot is not farther in front than the other), but my hips are not. I have to consciously make a point to center my hips. Should I keep the weight where it is at until my form is 100%? I didn't "miss" any reps in the sense that I got full depth and stood up, but I don't want to sacrifice form for more weight on the bar.

I have video available, but wanted to get quick feedback.

Do you have a video shot directly from the back? If so, let's see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Do you have a video shot directly from the back? If so, let's see it.
    As requested: 3 1 16 - YouTube

If I squint at it, I can see a touch of a shift off to the right, but nothing worrisome. That level of asymmetry is not problematic and probably 80% of trainees have something like that going on in their squats. It wouldn't hurt if you got your knees out a little more earlier in the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If I squint at it, I can see a touch of a shift off to the right, but nothing worrisome. That level of asymmetry is not problematic and probably 80% of trainees have something like that going on in their squats. It wouldn't hurt if you got your knees out a little more earlier in the squat.
    I may be beating a dead horse, but when I paused the video at the 11 second mark It looks like I am favoring the right leg. I took the liberty of adding a few reference lines. Does it just look this way because my right knee is not pushed out as far as my left knee (the femur angle is significantly different in the two legs)? This is what led me to believe I was shifting to the right because my shoulders and knees are parallel, but my hips seem to be off.

As I mentioned, this is a very small asymmetry. More likely the result of not pushing your knees out enough, as I mentioned above. Just try thinking "right knee out" and see if that doesn't fix things. If you look hard enough, everyone is asymmetrical. Not all asymmetries are problematic.

starting strength coach development program
    Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply (again). The "right knee out" cue really helped. I think they look a lot better.